grease for hurst shifter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
I would suggest using the Redline CV-2 grease.

Assembly lubes have such high levels of AW's I would not use it, especially with nitrile seals and plastics close by.

have a hurst billet plus shifter, model 391-5061 to be exact. I just cleaned it out and need to re-grease the stainless steel pivot bushing. What grease should I use?

It's a very simple shifter, the main shifter shaft is steel, the springs in it are steel, the pivot bushing is stainless, and the cup everything sits in is polymide (black hard plastic), and the grease seal is preformed and is a rubber-nitrile material i think. The stainless pivot bushing pivots against the polymide cup, the cup is beveled at the same angle the bushing is machined to, so this is where you need the grease to lubricate and make the shifter smooth.
I don't thing the shifter mechanism would ever get over 150F, worst case. Only thing I have to worry about I guess is the grease affecting the polymide plastic and the rubber seal, and the possibility of it draining into the tranny by seeping past the rubber seal if it gets hot. I was thinking about using red (hi-temp) grease? And I have lots of trailer wheel bearing/marine grease laying around.

Also, is there a type of grease that is soluable in motor oil or tranny oil? Like a kind used for engine assembly maybe? There is some sort of grease in the plastic cup that the shifter stick fits into in the tranny. It is pinkish, and I guess was white before tranny fluid mixed with it. I would like to re-grease that to, with the right kind, before reinstalling the shifter.
Car is a camaro by the way, 6-speed T56 tranny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back