Don't waste your $$$ on Super Tech grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using Super Tech Moly lithium grease as my main chassis lube for several months now, and I must say I'm very disappointed in it. I used it to grease the lower ball joints on my Ford Explorer, and it didn't hold up well. I noticed yesterday the balljoints were making a popping/groaning noise going over bumps, like they were dry. So, I got under there, the grease was almost totally gone. I inspected the boots for possible leaks, there are none. This grease only lasted 1700 miles, and was gone.
frown.gif
The vehicle isn't used for off-roading either.

It's the same story with the pitman arm on my Town Car, it's thinning out and washing out after just a short period of time. The Super Tech is going in the garbage, I ordered 2 tubes of Schaeffer #274 grade 2, and a tube of #221 #2, grease today from Tim Mills. Will give that a try.

For those of you thinking of trying Super Tech grease, don't waste your money.

You'll like the 274. It's the same as 221 except for some synthetic oil in it so it stays pumpable to lower temperatures. Use your 221 in the spring, summer, & fall, and use 274 year 'round. Next time just buy the 274.

The SuperTech is another of Wal*Mart's lowest-of-low-bid products.

Ken

I got the #274 because it gets rather cold in Cincinnati in the winter, and it has a better temp range than the #221. It was acutally reading some of your old posts Ken that help me settle on the #274 as my "all year" grease.
cheers.gif

I ordered the #221 just for kicks, I was ordering other stuff anyway, so I just threw that in also. I'll probably use it on my garage queen that never gets driven in the winter.
cool.gif

Since lots of people rave about SuperTech oil filters, I was hoping thier grease was good as well. Guess not.
frown.gif

I have been using the 221#2 with no problems with poping noise. I now just bought the 274#2 because of the better temp range. I was just going to grease up the truck with the 274 for the 1st time but the dealer just did it with what ever GM uses(it is red) when I had a warranty claim done. I'll just have to wait til that grease is gone.

How long do you think the 274 and 221 will last on average in suspention aplacations?

This is kinda too bad, as I have a new unopened tube of this and the receipt is long gone.

I guess I'll use it, but keep an eye out to make sure it's still in place pretty often.

Bummer, 'cuz oil changes are fun, but my attention wanes when it's time to get the grease gun out.
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by eljefino:
Bummer, 'cuz oil changes are fun, but my attention wanes when it's time to get the grease gun out.
frown.gif

I hardly get the grease gun out at all anymore since I have to take off the wheels to get to the grease fittings on my Chrysler minivan.

I'm finding it hard to believe that the super Tech grease is this bad. It is probably made by Coastal (just a guess) and I thought any grease would last at least 6 months or longer - shouldn't it ? ?
dunno.gif

[ November 03, 2003, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: Cressida ]

Super Tech didn't last anywhere near 6 months for me.

With grease, conditions in which is used plays a big role, as does the complex of the grease. This grease should have lasted longer IMO, the Explorer sees street duty only, no off-roading or anything else super hard on suspension items. Lithium complex isn't the most durable out there either, so I have learned.

As always YMMV, but when my Schaeffers arrives the Super Tech is going in the garbage can, where it belongs IMO.

Got my Schaeffer grease, and other goodies, from Mills outdoor today. I ordered Monday afternoon, arrived at my door this morning. Quick shipping for sure. Very happy, will buy from Mills again.
cheers.gif

I should have looked here first before trying some of the red SuperTech stuff. Worst automotive grease I have ever tried. The oil separates and drips out of my grease gun even though I pull back the plunger and take the pressure off. The stuff runs out of joints like water.

What a waste of money and natural resources.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back