2010 Honda Odyssey 0-20???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all.

Newbie to this forum. And am truely amazed as to the sheer volume of information so please forgive me in advance if this question has been answered already.

I have a '10 Odyssey I purchased new. I live in north central Canada and get to "enjoy" quite a few nasty winter days.

I was curious if this oil was suitable:
Petro Canada Synthetic

I am looking at using the 5-20 for summer and the 0-20 for winter.
My owner's manual says that 5-20 is the best for all season but I have my doubts.
Any thoughts?

Excellent choice. I personally use Mobil 1 0w-20 in our Fit year-round. It's the smoothest and quietest on the M1 compared to the other 5w-20 oils I've tried in it.

Use 0w-20 year round in your Honda. Basically, there's no bad choice in 0w-20 flavor.

First of all
welcome2.gif

The oil you have listed is fine in your new vehicle. Pretty well ANY 5w-20 is going to be fine. I'd not go out of my way to try to find an 0w-20 unless you see -40F all the time.

Not too long ago many vehicles were lucky to see the new 5w-30 and yet they last. Today's 5w-x oils are great performers.

Enjoy the new ride!

Bill

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Use 0w-20 year round in your Honda. Basically, there's no bad choice in 0w-20 flavor.

Agreed.

Originally Posted By: putz
Petro Canada Synthetic

This should be fine. There's only one minor possible hitch: Does your owner's manual specify that the oil needs to carry any approvals or certifications? If so, you might want to see if the oil you're looking at carries those approvals. All I see in that PDF is "meets or exceeds XYZ performance levels," which should be 100% fine, but might cause some confusion with the dealer in the 0.001% chance that your engine needs warranty service.

Other than that, I say go for it.

My owner's manual says that 5-20 is the best for all season but I have my doubts.

Why?

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
There's only one minor possible hitch: Does your owner's manual specify that the oil needs to carry any approvals or certifications? If so, you might want to see if the oil you're looking at carries those approvals. All I see in that PDF is "meets or exceeds XYZ performance levels," which should be 100% fine, but might cause some confusion with the dealer in the 0.001% chance that your engine needs warranty service.

PC oils shouldn't be the problem. All the appropriate grades have the licencing of the API and so forth in order, and display all the requisite donuts and starbursts, assuming one is buying a grade that qualifies for such things.

Why?

Probably because the manual doesn't want to force people in synthetic

If you are using the PetroCan Syn. Then either one will be totally fine 5w20 is fine unless you live in YellowKnife or something, But go ahead and use what you want.

Originally Posted By: sangyup81

Why?

I meant to ask why he had doubts. Sorry for being unclear.

Petro Canada Synthetic

This should be fine.

FWIW these latest PC GF-5 oils are not yet in inventory i.e. you can't buy them until later in January as they
are working down their supply of the GF-4 oils.

Why?

I meant to ask why he had doubts. Sorry for being unclear.

No no you were perfectly clear, I didn't word my response well. I think the OP suspects the manual doesn't spec 0w20 because the manual doesn't want to make it seem like the car is high maintenance and needing synthetic oil changes. Not a big deal for us DIY people but if you go to a shop and try to get a synthetic oil change, you're looking at $50 if you're lucky.

Consumers will always get a wrong idea says the legal teams of pretty much every big company.

No no you were perfectly clear, I didn't word my response well. I think the OP suspects the manual doesn't spec 0w20 because the manual doesn't want to make it seem like the car is high maintenance and needing synthetic oil changes. Not a big deal for us DIY people but if you go to a shop and try to get a synthetic oil change, you're looking at $50 if you're lucky.

Consumers will always get a wrong idea says the legal teams of pretty much every big company.

Ah, okay. That makes sense.

I don't know if it's cheaper or not, but the Honda 5w20 is made by Petro Canada for Honda. The 0w20 (last time I checked, which was quite a while ago) is made by Idemitsu. The Honda oils have a healthy dose of Moly. If you can, buy the PC oil from a distributor - the prices at the gas stations are ridiculous.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the responses.

I just don't want to void my warranty and the Honda manual is very vague as to specs other than 5 20 is the only recommended grade and that the oil have the starburst symbol.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I just don't want to void my warranty and the Honda manual is very vague as to specs other than 5 20 is the only recommended grade and that the oil have the starburst symbol.

They can't void your warranty for picking the wrong oil. All they can do is give you a hard time on engine warranty claims -- IF the engine breaks (extremely unlikely) and IF they put in the time and effort to figure out what oil you used (also unlikely).

However, if all they specify are "5w-20" and an API starburst, then all you really need to do is make sure the oil has the starburst. A good 5w-20 should work year-round; 0w-20 should be fine, too, even though it's not explicitly mentioned.

If you plan on using a synthetic oil I would use a 0W20 all year. I like Edge 0W20 but understand it is pretty costly in Canada. But if you can get it in the US it would be my first choice.

No reason to change from one to the other for summer/winter. 0W20 will serve you well under all conditions.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I like Edge 0W20 but understand it is pretty costly in Canada.

Actually right now the price is a non issue i.e. as far as I know EDGE 0W20 isn't even available in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back