Which Snow Blower Does Everyone Like ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a 5HP, wasn't big enough.

Get a Toro, absolutely a Toro.

Mine is a 10HP snow launcher, launching it 45 FEET!
thumbsup2.gif

Just blew 11" of snow and it barely noticed it.

Originally Posted By: DaHen
Originally Posted By: boraticus
Is your JD a re-branded Ariens or Simplicity. As far as I know, they were the two main suppliers for JD snow throwers.

Don't really know which brand is involved.
21.gif

Do ya know of any way to tell? The secret is possibly in the serial number.

If there are no physical clues, you might be able to find out from JD. People familiar with Ariens and Simplicity could probably tell by looking the machine over. Post a pic.

Just got my first small engine toy.. a new Ariens snowblower! Assembled, gas'd and started it today. Looking forward to playing with it when the snow comes.

Well we had 3" of wet snow-easy snowball packing! I took my old MTD 5hp 2-Stage out, and it proceeded to go 5' before it clogged. I then pulled out my new Toro 1128OXE. What a difference; Threw the snow like it advertises, and did not skip a beat. The B & S engine was much smoother too, compared to the 5-HP "Chonda" as its called on the MTD.

Toro cost 3x as much as the MTD, but no struggling, and auto-turning feature is nice, much easier to handle then having to force turn. Combine this with 0% APR for 18-months and Toro got my bid.

Last edited:
Yep. Something like that Toro is going to have a much better designed auger and impeller. I've got no complaints with the service my ~11yr/old Yardman 7hp/24" has given me, but it does have a wimpy 3-bladed impeller with tons of clearance between it and the impeller housing. That's a big part of what causes your clogs.

016.jpg

Joel

Poulan has some nice machines . Get at least a 10HP or larger for the heavy wet stuff . Like someone else mentioned more power is a good thing with blowers .
I believe Costco sells them .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
Poulan has some nice machines..

Yeah, I'm not sure if they're still being sold, but the snow machines were "Poulan Pro" and based off the same as Sears used, built by AYP, based off Murray design. Confusing right!?! The Poulan Pro website shows machines with Tecumseh Snowking flat-heads. Those pics have to be a few years old.

Joel

Last edited:
Joel is correct, AYP American Yard Proudcts makes Poulan, Craftsman, Husqvarna, and some "store house" brands

Originally Posted By: SkyGod
Ariens two stage...lasts for ever.
Same design for nearly 50 years.

I like Ariens as well, but the same design for ~50yrs? The only thing the same today is the orange paint.

Joel

I think airens is a bit of a sleeper, used a rear tine tiller of theirs (prolly 7-10 yrs old) just as impressed w it as i am a troybilt, if not more

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: SkyGod
Ariens two stage...lasts for ever.
Same design for nearly 50 years.

I like Ariens as well, but the same design for ~50yrs? The only thing the same today is the orange paint.

Joel

Truer words have not been spoken.

KFCX:

Troybuilt isn't anything special these days. They're rolling off the same assembly lines as other mediocre products carrying various brand names.

Agreed, Troybilt is nothing more than an MTD clone painted prettier.

edit: I forgot we were talking snowblowers. MTD snowblowers are so-so, okay; not horrible worthless junk like some other MTD products with the Troybilt name on them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: flatlandtacoma
Agreed, Troybilt is nothing more than an MTD clone painted prettier.

edit: I forgot we were talking snowblowers. MTD snowblowers are so-so, okay; not horrible worthless junk like some other MTD products with the Troybilt name on them.

I gave my MTD 2-Stage to a buddy for nothing as I felt too guilty charging him for something that did not work that well!

I have the Toro 2450 GTS, very similiar to the Powerclear. Has the 5 HP Tecumseh 2-cycle, there was a 3450 that had I believe the 6.5 HP but not worth the extra $$$ IMO.

If I had to buy all over again, I would get a 2-stage, mainly because the price of this Toro is within a hundred bucks or so of a smaller 2-stage.

2-stage is great when the surface has been packed down a little and there is ice chunks in which the auger will break up. The single-stage Toro I have works fantastic, however virgin snow is best, as it packs down under tires it takes more time to clear and sometimes it can't.

The single-stage Toro will toss some snow though don't get me wrong, 8" of snow is no prob and will chuck it about 30'

A plus to the single-stage is virtually no maintenance, had mine 5 years now and only need to run the tank dry every year.

Clear when the snow is about 8" or less and you can walk with it. When it's about 12-13" it will clear but needless to say it's much slower, this is where the 2-stage shines but it will still work.

This is about 13" and is over the top of the front of the opening.
1219091108-1.jpg

Got a Huskey (MTD?) 28" 8 hp blower 3 yrs ago, and have nothing but good luck with it.no clogs or anything.
confused.gif

Im no "snow thrower expert" but scenario that the OP mentioned sounds like pretty large drive way.

A self propelled 2 stage sounds like it would fit the bill. I havent seen many 5hp-ish snow throwers unless it is a single stage.

I bought a 2 stage Arien's last year and it came with a 11.5 Hp Briggs, its worked like a charm thus far.

I don't know if we've posted this before, but it looks like other name-brand engine manufacturers are getting into the snowblower market now with Tecumseh being gone. I know Kohler makes a snow engine and just found out Robin-Subaru does too! That's GREAT news IMO. http://robinamerica.com/series.aspx?sid=59

249_l.png

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back