Good Low Temp Grease for Snowblower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should have looked over the snowblower during the summer but was too busy and now I'm paying for it, because after using it for the first time this week revealed that it needs new belts, friction wheel, carb cleaing...ect. So I might as well give the whole thing a work over and I'm planning on appyling new grease to the drive shafts and auger system. Does anybody know of a good grease that works well in low temps, and is suitable for a snowblower? AMSOIL, Castrol Syntec, Shell, Lucas, or will any off the shelf brand do?

Thanks

Last edited:
if youre that concerned w cold temps/grease, id use white lithium grease, but i think id just use whatevers in the gun personally!

I'd say any good multi purpose full synthetic grease would be best (i use mobil1 for about everything requiring a grease gun). Extreme temps and resistance to moisture are its strong points.

For all zerk fittings, exposed components like axles and augers, most savvy snow thrower users go with snowmobile or marine grease. It works well in cold temps, is resistant to washing off and is not expensive. Any brand of snowmobile or marine grease will do.

For chains/sprockets inside the chassis, you want to use a heavy oil that will stick and not fling off. You do not want to contaminate the drive disk and wheel. I use a spray grease for that application. Crown and Keystone make excellent spray grease that sprays deep into the chain then quickly dries to a very tacky water resistant film. Messy stuff to work with but very effective and long lasting.

The shaft that the drive wheel slides across should be lubed with a light film of oil that will not cause resistance in cold temps. Machine's I've owned usually recommend a light application of 30 weight oil.

If the auger gearbox isn't leaking, don't mess with it. The factory fill (at least on my machines) are supposed to last the life of the machine provided there are no leaks. If lube is required, you must refer to the manufacturers recommendation. Not all gear boxes use the same lube. Some use gear lube others use liquid grease such as Benalene. It will make a difference in time if the wrong lube is used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back