Safe to go from 5W30 to 5W20 in older 91 Civic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HangerHarley
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
I'd say a 20wt oil should be fine particularly in the cooler winter months.
Honda only ever spec'd a dino oil for the car and the typical 5W-30 oil of 20 years ago was anything but shear stable. So in reality you car has always been spec'd for a 20wt oil.

It still started out as a 30-wt. though!!!

Hondas run fine on 5W-30 year-round. This has been my experience. And i had one...

OP, you want a 20-wt. why?

You're missing the point.
A fundamental lubrication maxium is, "as light as possible, thick as necessary".
Even a 20wt oil is too viscous every time a car is started and remains so at least until normal high operating oil temp's are achieved.
So the OP is asking the correct question, is a 30wt oil necessary, and the answer is no.

For only 2 OCI I'd say go for it, wont' be a long term damage anyways if you are not going to run it really hard (racing or run in Las Vegas in traffic jam).

I had a 1990 Civic Si that I used in ST class autocross. It ate synthetic oil, and smoked a little at full throttle and high rpm when I first got it as it had only had conventional for 178,000 miles. So I ran Pennzoil high mileage 10w30 for a few thousand miles to see if it would help things out, and then went back to PYB 5w30. It was perfect, no consumption, no smoke, and that is what I would recommend for your car.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
You're offering a possible remedy to a problem that doesn't exist.
The OP's car doesn't have an oil consumption problem.

Well if you read the entire thing, PYB was my suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back