Arco vs Top Tier gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all,

I pose a question to you all regarding the quality Arco/BP is as good or even better than the competition. When they say this I can only assume their saying there manufactured gas is as high quality as any Top Tier brand.

I read this on ther website. If what they say is true then why does so many people hate using there gas? They claim it's just as good or better. What do you guys/gals say??

Durango

Chris142,

Yes I too remember when Arco was run by Arco their own manufactured gas was terrible! During hot summers in my 01' Durango with the air on my engine would give/hear me a slight ping on acceleration. Now that Arco is run by BP my Durango and Impala both run darn good. In both of them I haven't seen it give me any better nor less MPG than a Top Tier gas.

My pondering is from the website indcating good quality or better than the competition. They don't say "Top Tier" as their competitors BUT using other words there practically saying it anyway. Is this only advertising hype like all the others???

Like Shell with "nitrogen" do you really believe the gas is impregnated with this gas to clean up the valves?

Durango

I emailed BP asking them why they aren't a top tier station since they advertise their invigorate stuff as doing the same things that top tier stations advertise.

They told me their gas meets minimum top tier standards but they chose not to do the top tier thing as they would have to use the same additive formulation for a good while. They ended up making it sound like being off the top tier list is better for their customers because they could tweak the additives anytime they want to make it better.

Since BP owns Arco I wonder if they put the same type of additive in that fuel? We don't have Arco stations over here but BP is always the most expensive in town.

Most around my area are packed crazy with cars getting a cheaper price gas. I'll go to the Chevron across the street and drive up to a pump every time. I'm not going to wait in line or snake my way out when done just to save a buck or two. But... when I see some sleazy girls over there at Arco...oh never mind.
I'm used to Chevron 1st, then Shell as secondary where ever I go. If I have no choice and really need gas, then it's whatever is available. My GPS will list station names, distance & direction. If my type of stations are within reasonable distance and time is not an issue, I'll drive the extra to get my gas.
I'll admit, I have never ran Arco gas.

I remember Arco when I lived in Long Beach, I think now that BP took them over their gas is fine, if yo are worried about cleaning just put MMO in the tank (4oz. to 10gals.) every one in a while you will be plenty clean.

Originally Posted By: Digital2k2
I emailed BP asking them why they aren't a top tier station since they advertise their invigorate stuff as doing the same things that top tier stations advertise.

They told me their gas meets minimum top tier standards but they chose not to do the top tier thing as they would have to use the same additive formulation for a good while. They ended up making it sound like being off the top tier list is better for their customers because they could tweak the additives anytime they want to make it better.

Since BP owns Arco I wonder if they put the same type of additive in that fuel? We don't have Arco stations over here but BP is always the most expensive in town.

Digital12k2,

If Arco/BP claim they meet minimum "Top Tier" quality then what their saying is that they ARE considered a Top Tier gas just like all the other competitors. I guess they just don't want to join the fancy CEO club. Out here in California Arco says/advertises nothing about the so called "invigorite" additive at all but in fact Arco has been very low key. I really wonder what additive is place/used in the gas out here since we have a big manufacturing facility out here in El Segundo/Long Beach area. We even pay some of the highest gas in the country minus Hawaii who's gas might be slightly higher than us.

Durango

There is no 'minimum top tier' anything. There are minimal Federal requirements, and that's what they and any other gas makers/retailers meet. In order to become a Top Tier member, a vendor shall bring *all* grades up to their standard of Top Tier deposit control.

The list of retailers is growing and now includes some rather small chains.

Whether it is worth an extra dollar is another question.

In the past ARCO was the only gas that gave me noticeably worse gas mileage. Also in the past a guy who works in a local petro testing lab told me that he was hired when the local refineries buy, sell, and swap products to each other (which they often do). He said that ARCO always tested below spec, the buying refinery adjusted the price paid to ARCO and reblended it up to their spec.

Maybe things are different now. Try running several tankfuls on repeatable trips and calculate your fuel cost per mile, not just the miles per gallon. If ARCO gives good gas mileage and low cost per mile, it is probably fine. If the cost is right and there are doubts about the additive level, an occasional dose of one of the trusted fuel and top end cleaners may be justified.

Ken2,

So far I've been using Arco in my 08' Impala SS and it appears to be a fine gas to use. In addition I ocassionally use a bottle of Techron or Redline SL-1 to supplement the gas but I admit I never notice anything different.

What I've noticed in my hood/region is that Arco is only a few cents per gallon cheaper than the competitors that are Top Tiered so I've been thinking wether it's better to pay cash at Arco and get only a few cents off per gallon for my total gas purchase or but a so called Top Tier gas and put it on CC. I admit I go back and fourth on this decision.

My main question is since allot of people trash Arco with claims of poor performance but according to there website they say the gas is just as good or better than all the rest. What a claim they can make??? I have had good results in my Impala and Durango.

Durango

I had a 1982 Subaru. That thing loved [censored] gasoline. The worse the gas, the better it ran. It would sputter on Union 76, Shell, and Chevron gas. It loved ARCO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back