What is your prefered Euro Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Audi Junkie and why would you pay more for lets say Fuchs and not Liquid molly? What do you know about this oil that we dont there is very little info on the oil even in these forums and the info we do have is old as dirt.

Originally Posted By: asu
Audi Junkie and why would you pay more for lets say Fuchs and not Liquid molly? What do you know about this oil that we dont there is very little info on the oil even in these forums and the info we do have is old as dirt.

Fuchs has some unique products like their Titan 0w-20 that is "safe for all applications". iirc there is a 0w-30 too and Fuchs supposedly came up with the German Syntec base oil, that they use for the super-oils like Titan. Not really for your application, but I personally like Fuchs.

There's not really a lot of info on Fuchs here either, they really only sell motorcycle oils here. I did use their gear oil, Silkolene Pro SRG 75 Full Ester Race oil, a 75 that protects like a 90. Redline uses the good ester base oils that have the high HT/HS for their +100c visc, like German Syntec and Redline.

btw- don't you have access to Mobil 1 5w-50? Only Mercedes has it here for AMG cars. Syntec 5w-50 is a great product over here.

Can you get by with 15w-40 HD in your climate???

Yes we have Mobil one 5w 50 here in Germany but just reading up on oil basics I thought that a 5w 40 be the better option since the eninge has not even seen over 200F operating tempature and that is beating on it.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
I can get my hands on some of those German Oils but they are pricey. I did just get a 5liter jug of Motul 8100 5w40 I wonder if it is considered a light 40 as so many european motor oils are.

Is this it?

http://www.motul-oil.co.uk/pdfs/synthetic-engine-oil/8100_X-cess_5W-40_(GB).pdf

Roger that is it. I still dont know really how to tell if a oil is heavy for a perspective weight or not.

For each SAE range, compare 100C visco to see where it falls in that range.

For example, this oil is 14.2 cSt at 100C. Based on the SAE 40 range (12.50 - 16.29):

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/index....8&Itemid=55

this oil is in the middle, but a little thinner than most API 5w40s at operating temp. It has an HTHS of 3.7, also indicating it's a little bit thinner. With colder oil temps this difference would be more noticable.

As long as you are under +212f, the oil stays thicker than the labeled visc, this is because that's the temp the visc is taken at, as Bob mentioned.

Looking at the chart I posted, the 40 weights at 92c are the same visc as the 50 weights are at 100c, really just a few degrees cooler.

On the cold end, 5w-40 appears the same as 5w-50, but I believe the 5w-40 to be better. Sort of a grey area in my understanding.

0-30.jpg

You can use the graphic calculator to compare viscs at a lower temp, just reduce the number in the box keeping in mind it's less accurate the colder you get. imo, accurate to 0f or just below

http://www.widman.biz/English/Calculators/Graph.html

Originally Posted By: j_mac
ANY oil that is sold in Germany and says "synthetic" will be a true synthetic. Its illegal to sell the Castrol synthetics that we have here in the US in Germany. They are not true synthetics. ...............

This statement is made over and over can some one please show me how selling G3 oil compared to a G4 oil in Germany is illegal.

Where is the legislation to back this up?

Or is this just a "Fairy Tale" similar to a "court case" that keeps getting quoted about Mobil and Castrol when it was just a complaint by Mobil to the Federal Trade Commission.

Any German resident members able to input into this ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: virginoil
This statement is made over and over can some one please show me how selling G3 oil compared to a G4 oil in Germany is illegal.

I doubt that it's illegal to sell Group III oils in Germany. What people contend is that it's illegal to market such an oil as fully synthetic, which you can do in North America. I believe Group III type oils are marketed as semi-synthetic there; they used to be marketed the same way here years back.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Did you lower the temp in the box for it?

How do you change the temps ?

I enter the cSt of 40C and 100C for 5W20 and 0W40 in the "Graph your own oils" then click on "Calculate".

If you want to compare oil viscosities, then compare them at 100°C. If one is more viscous than another at 100°C, then it is almost certainly more viscous at lower and higher temperatures.

My "Euro Preferred" oil used to be Shell Rotella 5W40 until I ran across Valvoline Syn Power 5W40 "Euro" at my local Carquest store. Made the switch, so now my VW feels all uppity running an official "Euro" oil. lol

I can get my hands on some of those German Oils but they are pricey. I did just get a 5liter jug of Motul 8100 5w40 I wonder if it is considered a light 40 as so many european motor oils are.
My local NAPA stocks a bunch of "German" oils, lubes and fluids that appear to be authentic German or European of some sort. Some are even in those odd metal cans. I couldn't read the bottles, so I stayed with what I knew. Your local NAPA might stock them too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back