Understanding Schaeffer’s Grease Applications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bob,

Can you give us all a brief description of the following Schaeffer’s greases and their applications and/or where they should not be uses:

#221 Moly Ultra 800 EP
#222 Moly Wheel Bearing Grease
#229 Moly Ultra Red EP
#238 Moly Supreme

I understand some of the differences. For example, I understand that 238 should not be used for wheel bearings due to its higher tack, but that it is good for chassis lubrication. And I know that 221 is a good all around grease; however, I'm confused about the roles of 229 and 222. Why use 222 or 229 over 221, for example. The Schaeffer's tech sheets are not particullarly enlightening is this regard. Thanks.

Oh Bob....
cheers.gif

I'm not Bob, but I play him on TV (kidding!)...

• #221 Moly Ultra 800 EP - Well-rounded automotive/industrial aluminum complex grease with solid moly and other EP additives. Wide range of grades to choose from. Petroleum base oil. Tackified. Least expensive in the group.
  • #222 Moly Wheel Bearing Grease - Only available in NLGI 3 - Hard to discern any differences from #221 other than name.
  • #229 Moly Ultra Red EP - Should be an excellent, all-around aluminum complex grease. Contains soluble moly vs. solid moly. Also contains teflon. Not tackified. Petroleum base oil. Only available in NLGI 1 and 2 so very automotive-focused. Should be the second-most expensive in the lot.
  • #238 Moly Supreme - The winner for the most diverse set of additives! Also should be an excellent, all-around aluminum complex grease. Contains soluble moly vs. solid moly. Also contains teflon and graphite. Petroleum base oil with about 10% PAO. Tackified. Wide range of grades to choose from. Should be the most expensive in the lot.
How'd I do, Bob? Scheaffer's definitely needs to review their online spec sheets. A bit too much cutting and pasting went on.
smile.gif

69Redlines73,

I came to the same conclusion as you. Lots of cutting and pasting and little to distinguish one from the other. Thanks for the attempt!

Nice job redline.

Actually, I haven't taken the time to go into each one of these. The reason is I have a select set of greases I use/recommend and it keeps it simplier than to sell all of them. As you can see, many are basic duplicates of each other.

Bob:

I know we've seen your various grease recommendations in a variety of posts but could you repeat the consolidated list here one more time?

68redlines73

Yes Please! I know 221 is your favorite Bob. I now have 2 tubes of this stuff and have repacked the wheel bearings on my boat trailer with this grease based on your recommendation. Thanks. I trust just about anybody from Florida on boat related issues.

Darren

Yes it would be helpful - as I remember Bob uses the 238 but recommends 221 for those of us North of Florida. If you are going to get just one for wheel bearing and chassie lube will either do fine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back