Moly or Non-Moly Grease in U-Joints

Status
Not open for further replies.
There seems to be differing opinions regarding the use of a moly grease in certain types of bearings (Friction -vs- Non-Friction bearings) Specifically, how do you grease experts feel about using a moly grease in auto u-joints?

I prefer a moly grease in U-joints; have used it for years. Grease every 50,000 miles.
Don't blow the grease out of the seals and use a hand pump; not the station high pressure greasers.

[ February 07, 2003, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

MolaKule, I am glad you posted that.. I have been using moly grease in my chaisis and u-joints exclusively. I was worried because the owneres manual say lithium for one application and Moly for another. I simply figured moly all around was an upgrade and I only have to use 1 grease gun.

A good sticky moly-type grease is great for chassis, ball joints, and U-joints.

Schaeffer's probably makes some of the best greases for the price.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
I prefer a moly grease in U-joints; have used it for years. Grease every 50,000 miles.
Don't blow the grease out of the seals and use a hand pump; not the station high pressure greasers.

I use Redline CV-2 in my joints. Funny that you mention not to blow it out the seals. My
manual(s) (yes more than one) Specifically states to purge it out the seals. Tom Woods also advised me to do this to my driveshaft he built for me. (250 dollar driveshaft w/double cardan CV and 1310 on other end).

What I meant was don't blow or rupture the seals by using a high pressure grease gun powered by air.

To clarify, high pressure grease guns have been known to blow out the seals and rupture or split them, allowing dust and dirt to get back into joints.

A slight but careful purge of the old grease out the seals is recommended with a low pressure (manual) grease gun.

In my view, Purging and Blowing out the seals constitute two different things. Just semantics I guess!
biggthumbcoffe.gif

I find CV-2 great for CV joints, and it does have MoDTC, the soluble moly. I only wish it had a bit more tack.

Mola,

I see what you mean now. Your talking about a full blowout as in DAMAGING the seal. I understand now what you were saying.

The CV-2 seems pretty good but I had a real problem with some type of red fluid bleeding out of two of my spare tubes all over the place and bleeding out of the grease gun. This was really discouraging to me since it is like 7-8 bucks a tube and I have to wonder if the loss of all that light fluid RUINED the grease in the tube. Sure made a mess in my oil cabinet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back