pressure washer - can I run W/O water

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that water cools the pump. Will 30 secs of running harm it? Who knows. I would think you have water access in your basement. Just hook up a hose when you need to start it to be safe.

Originally Posted By: mikiee
I believe that water cools the pump. Will 30 secs of running harm it? Who knows. I would think you have water access in your basement. Just hook up a hose when you need to start it to be safe.

+1....NOOOOO You MUST hook up hose. You will burn out the engine. I have made the mistake myself. Let me add, I don't exactly know what you mean by briefly, but no longer than 30 secs. That was the rule we all had at a pressure washing co. I worked for. My boss was forgiving
eek.gif

Last edited:
I wouldn't try it. Every brand I've ever heard of warns that running the pump without water hookup will damage the pump. Not worth the risk, no matter how short a time you run it.

Slip the belt off. You can run the engine all you want without running the dry pump. Or set up a bucket with an outlet in the bottom feeding the pump and a return into the top of the bucket from the pump...no restriction in the return so little pressure is developed. Be sure you have your will updated before running the engine in your basement.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Slip the belt off. You can run the engine all you want without running the dry pump. Or set up a bucket with an outlet in the bottom feeding the pump and a return into the top of the bucket from the pump...no restriction in the return so little pressure is developed. Be sure you have your will updated before running the engine in your basement.
frown.gif

most pressure washers I have seen are direct drive...no belts.
Do not run it without water in it or you risk ruining the pump.

You could also hook up the garden hose and tie a rope to the wand handle with the nozzle on low pressure to test it. Just stick them outside and with the nozzle on low pressure it won't affect the engine much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back