Chrysler 42RE Transmission band Adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 98 Grand Cherokee with the 42RE trans. I have been reading about the band adjustments and was wondering how important this is. I currently have 156k on the transmission( I bought with 102k).

I currently have a small rpm surge between the 2nd-3rd gear shift. (It has been there since I bought the jeep) will a band adjustment cure this? I am scheduled for a pan drop and fluid exchange on Tuesday, should my trans shop adjust them or do I need to ask for it to be done.

Am I asking for problems if I mess with the band adjustment?

Most shops shy away from band adjustments, at least guys I've had dealings with over the years. If you have a good tranny shop and someone who really knows how to adjust the bands then go for it. If they don't do it properly it can cause more harm than good. It is a tough decision making position to be in.

I would strongly recommend adding Lubegard Red to the unit after a pan drop, filter change, and complete fluid exchange. The LG might improve the shift, and is recommended by many transmission shops. JMO

I would go with Amsoil ATF. That is what I have in my 2001 Grand Cherokee. Absolutely no problems. Also have a Magnefine filter.
Let the shop tell you if you should have the bands adjusted.

ATF+4 is a pretty good synthetic tranny fluid, and is known not to nuke these trannies. In theory (based on design, etc), they don't need any special fluid, but they seem to do better with ATF+4 than most others.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
ATF+4 is a pretty good synthetic tranny fluid, and is known not to nuke these trannies. In theory (based on design, etc), they don't need any special fluid, but they seem to do better with ATF+4 than most others.

I'd stick with ATF+4 as well, and the Lubegard additive if you are so inclinded.

Approaching 160 on of ours, never had a band adjustment done. The reverse band outside the pan is the pain in the [censored]...

You'll either have to do it yourself or a trusted shop. To loose or to tight and it'll wear 'em down quick.

My only problem with this transmission is the pressure sensor and/or governor had to be replaced twice, once at 58K, and once at 78K. Thats a $500 job. Used Jeep parts both times.

It sounds like you should definitely adjust the bands. It may correct the flare at the 2-3 upshift.

I did not find band adjustment difficult on my van's 46RE. A paint marker helps for indicating the correct number of turns to back off from the torque spec.

Be sure to get the correct number of back-off turns for the particular trans and model year. That is, look at Chrysler's book and not Haynes or Chilton. It seems Chrysler changed components on a yearly basis in these RWD TorqueFlites.

The slip between shifts is directly related to drum seals and band adjustment. Just adjust what is in the pan. Mine did this too. Run ATF+4 and a full bottle of the thick Lucas transmission additive (not the small thin stuff) and the slip goes away and without the slip you have a good chance of not being one of those with a blown 42RE. My 42RE got to the point where it wouldn't shift correctly without Lucas or go a full 30,000 mile service interval with a bottle of Lucas. The Lucas is thick stuff that increases line pressure so you combat the internal drum seal leak that lots of ZJ 42RE's are plagued with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back