Toyota recommended grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just looking through my manual for my '93 Toy 4x4 on the lubes and greases. I was amazed to see that moly-disulfide is in the grease that is recommended. I didn't know moly had been "found" and used "back then" by Toyota.

Bob, manual also says all grease should be lithium based. Are your Supreme or Pure Syn. greases compatible? Which would you recommend for my use or is this a "lithium only" situation?
Compatibility w/ seals? NLGI No.2 is also stated.
#238 states not for use in wheel bearings for passenger cars...does this apply for a 4x4?
Lots of questions, I know.
grin.gif

Thanks.
Hugh

hugh,

The alum complex in compatible with a lith complex. This will not cause you any problems and you'll find that the alum complex will over take the lith in time. look at this grease chart to see how it is compatible to other complexes.

Moly has been used for a long time so it's no suprise to me it being suggested.

As for 238, if you feel like temps are relativly cool where you're at, go with the 221 #2 as an alternative. The 238 is a much tackier grease and is great on heavier equipment and or hotter areas. 221 #2 is also a good alternative and works exceptionally well also, particlularly further up north you go.

Bob,
I live in Central AZ (Metro Phoenix). I guess I'm in the extreme heat catagory of climates. It freezes maybe 10-12 times per year and I only head into snow country to go skiing 1-2 times per year, if I'm lucky
grin.gif
. #238, this would be the grease to go in all zerk (sp?) fittings and wheel bearings, correct?
What about #197? Better than #238?
Thank you.
Hugh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back