Does Sta-bil go bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some Sta-bil sitting in my garage and I think it is a year old but it could be older. Anyway, I am putting my bike away for the winter and I am wondering if it is still capable of protecting my gas for the winter months.

I think you need to buy some "Stay-Bill" for stabilising the Sta-Bil that you use to stabilise your motorbike gas tank.
-
-
Seriously, I would think its O.K. after a year in a tightly closed container. After three years I might worry a little ( but mainly about why I still have some left ... did I forget to USE it last spring?!.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
There is usually an expiration date printed on each stabil bottle.

And, their website FAQ has this to say about the matter:

Q: What is the shelf life of STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer?
A: 2 years after the bottle has been opened, provided it has been tightly capped and stored in a cool, dry place. If the bottle is never opened and under the original factory seal, than the shelf life is 5 to 6 years from manufacture.

doitmyself said it right.
The manufacturer says you can use it up to 2 years after the bottle has been opened.

They say it still only preserves the fuel for a year or so, 2 at the most (with a double dose). So, that shelf life sounds perfectly reasonable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back