ford recommend 5-20 can i use 15-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a few gallons of rotella 15-40 from my diesel and i hate to see it waisted. can i use it in my 2001 f 150 6 Cy.?

looks like your in NJ. If you were in AZ I'd say use it for your summer oil change, but probably not in NJ.

I wouldn't use that in a New Jersey winter. I'm sure folks have before, but there are better options.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Find a supplier that will trade you for the oil you need. Others on here have mentioned that AZ will do that for you.

That's the best plan.
It's way too heavy for winter use and even diluted with a light 0W-20 for the summer (and that's what you should do), it will take forever to use up.

Use it for your summer change.
It will be fine April through October in your application.
I have used 15W-40 HDEO in both my (now totalled) 3.0 Aerostar and my '97 Accord during the summer months.
Use it in warm weather.
No harm, and you probably won't see any real decline in fuel economy.

I'm in NJ and it's gotten cold. I have a 2002 F-150 with the 4.6 V-8. In the cold the engine revs high upon cold start for emissions. I'm glad I have the 5W-20 to avoid dry starts and wear with these winter cold starts.

Try taking the 15W-40 oil to Walmart for exchange. Without a receipt they usually offer a store credit. Use that to buy the 5W-20 oil.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: adamant
i have a few gallons of rotella 15-40 from my diesel and i hate to see it waisted. can i use it in my 2001 f 150 6 Cy.?
I wouldn't run it in that engine...too thick. Toss it in your lawnmower or find a buddy that can use it.

I would use it without thinking twice... but then again I'm in central TX, not NJ...

try it in the summer. If you notice a difference that you don't like, then drain it and fill with something else. If you don't notice a difference run it!

Continue to use it in your diesel. If you sold the diesel, then that's why I don't stash oil. Could in up lots of oil you can't use.

That oil is WAY TOO THICK for your Ford. Good way to starve a portion of the engine of oil. Those engines do very well on 5w-20.

It'll work just fine. Not optimal, but I've run both 5w40 and 0w40 in my 5.4L and it worked just fine.

And that included a Canadian winter (where the 0w40 was noticeably better).

Just use it for summer OCI's.

Originally Posted By: adamant
i have a few gallons of rotella 15-40 from my diesel and i hate to see it wasted. can i use it in my 2001 f 150 6 Cy.?

Yes, you can use it. The 4.2L pushrod V6 won't mind at all. But, I would save it for the spring/summer/fall. Now is not a good time for 15w40.

You can also thin it out a little too. A quart of Marvel Mystery Oil, quart of Rislone, pint of Seafoam, bottle of Zmax..... should easily thin it out to a 30wt. I would think a bottle of Valvoline-Castrol-Mobil1-Honda-Toyota...0w20 would do the same.
Thinning it out a little would reduce stress on the oil pump, and get the oil flowing through the engine a little quicker.

So, definitely use the 15w40. 1 gallon of 15w40 to a bottle of any of the above 'thinners' will do fine.

stick w 5w20, go 5w30 if youd like but stay away from hdeo, to me putting it in a modern gasser is silly, hence cats

15w40 is made for mixed fleets which are gas and diesel. Use it, will see it is perfectly fine, summer or winter. I lived in Pennsylvania for 30+ years and we used 15w40 oil in everything, well below zero degrees without any problems or weird noises. Most people that reccomend aginst it have no experience to back thier opinion, other than what they believe "may" happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back