'02 VW Jetta transmission & fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an '02 VW Jetta that needs the transmission fluid checked, and possibly changed. Problem is, these cars have a sealed transmission (and no dipstick for fluid check). Anyone changed out the fluid on a Jetta, and where are they fill and check plugs located? Thanks!

Does that car have the 4 speed or the 5 speed tiptronic? I believe the 1.9L, 2.0L, and 2.8L has the 4 speed 01m transmission while the 1.8T has the 5 speed tiptronic 09a transmission. The fluid check procedure is more or less the same for both transmissions.

The check plug is located on the transmission pan facing the ground. For the 4 speed there is only one but for the 5 speed there are 2, the one toward the back of the car is the check/fill plug. The way it works is like a toilet tank overflow tube. You can access the plug without lifting the vehicle but I find it easier to lift all 4 corners up. The fill plug on the 4 speed is facing toward the front of the car, there is a red cap on there which you need to carefully pry and the fill plug can then be removed. On the 5 speed you fill it in the same place where you check.

The vehicle has to be on a level ground to check. The fluid has to be checked at a certain temperature range 35-45C which you need to use a Vag-Com to monitor the transmission temperature. However some people say that you can feel the transmission pan, if its warm to the touch then its in the right range. You start the engine, shift through all the gears to get it up to temperature and circulate the fluid. Remove the check plug, if fluid comes out in drips then its the correct level. Good luck.

Check out a how to on the tdiclub forum for the how to for the 01m 4 speed.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=288052

Here is a how to on the tailgentx site for the 5 speed tiptronic.
http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/atfchange/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back