Wood Splitter and Dexron III

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
Bob,

I rebuilt my 45 Ton-Force Wood Splitter. I replaced the hydraulic control and pump, and added a
an oil filter and some guages.

I contacted the control manufacturer (Prince Valves) and the Pump manufacturer
(Haldane Barnes) and both recommended Dexron III, which kinda suprised me.

Does the #204S contain Moly? If it does, I need to order a 5-Gallon pail. Any reps within a 150 mile radius
of the KC area?

There is a strong difference between the dexron and the 204s schaeffers dexron III supreme.

Here is something I have which I think shows an interesting thing,

-

Notice how one clings to the inside of the jar better than the other. This was after setting them both down exactly the same time from being shaken up with one hand. This picture was taken at 15 secs from time it was set down.

I'm not sure what Schaeffers has in the oil quite frankly but I know that if this stuff can hang on the inside of a glass jar longer than the other, it gives me reason to believe that the oil will coat better and possible provide a better film.

I have never had a tranny problem but when I get a new car (new to me that is) I always switch over to the 204s.

As for moly in it? Well, After talking with our head chemist, he stated no, it's not possible to run a moly additive in an atf fluid as it is very dependant on certain frictional properties. Just as it is not possible to have any fluid that can be crossed used in a mercon V/,application dexron and ATF+3. He stated that the aditive packages are completly different and would cause problems over time.

The type of base stock is one reason for the atf clinging on the glass in the above demonstration.

OK, I guess I misread earlier posts which seemed to infer that Schaeffer's had been able to formulate Moly in their ATF's.

Since the system has no cluthches and the Barnes pump is simply a gear-type pump, I think what I will do is purchase an ISO 32/46 vis hydraulic fluid (the Dexron Viscosity) and purchase some Moly additive from Schaeffer's.

There are several reasons for a Dexron recomendation in that type of equipment.
1. The low pour point and Viscosity required to not blow seals when you work it outside in freezing temperatures (Thinner than an ISO 46)
2. The high VI (+/-190) to maintain viscosity better as it heats up or in case you use it in the summer.
3. It normally meets all of the hydraulic pump manufacturers' specs.
4. It normally meets Allison C4 for heavy equipment pumps, transmissions and truck transmissions.
5. Although expensive, it is a good all around fluid for hydraulic sistems, compressors, and transmissions.
I would just find yourself a good quality Dexron and not try to outguess the manufacturer.

widman,

The splitter is not used too much in the summer, but a lot in the fall and winter when temps
moderate. I was looking for a low-friction, low foam, hydraulic oil with a high-level of rust preventive, since the splitter sits outside most of the year.

I did find a 5 gal. pail of Majestic DexronIII at a low price, and I will add
MoTDC to it and run it for 10 hours and analyze it.

I think I will also acquire an ISO 32/46 with a high VI and add MoTDC to it and analyze
it after 10 hours.

BTW, 10 hours on this puppy is like running 1/4 mile sprints all day.

MolaKule
Although I would still use a group II Dexron III, for an ISO 32 hydraulic with outstanding VI and other characteristics, you could look for Chevron Rykon Hydraulic Fluid - Although I doubt you will find it in less than 5 gal. pails. I only carry it in Drums.

Thanks Widman.

That's what great about this list. There are products and people out there with information about those products you didn't know existed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back