SLUDGE!!! Need some oil experts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: daman
I don't think there's no oil alone that would touch that, haha

To really do it right,the head should come off. I hope I have SOME defenders with me on that one.
49.gif

then what about the crankcase and everything else? might as well send it to be rebuilt.

i think the op is doin a great job and i hope it works out for him!!!!

To really do it right,the head should come off. I hope I have SOME defenders with me on that one.
49.gif

Pulling the head would be a PITA. I'd pull the VC and clean as much as I could, and if possible drop the pan and clean that out as well. At that point let the OP pick his favorite engine cleaner and have at it. If he decides to use oil alone, the bulk of the dirty work will be done from the manual cleaning from the VC and pan removal.

If you can do it, by all means go for it. Truth is if you have the head off you might as well clean up the valves, check the guides replace the seals, and hope the lower end of the engine is in good shape. LOL.

I've taken on those projects over the years, I guess it depends on experience level, cash on hand, and motivation. Lately I have very little motivation and cash on hand. LOL

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
If you can do it, by all means go for it. Truth is if you have the head off you might as well clean up the valves, check the guides replace the seals, and hope the lower end of the engine is in good shape. LOL.

I've taken on those projects over the years, I guess it depends on experience level, cash on hand, and motivation. Lately I have very little motivation and cash on hand. LOL

I know that`s a gamble just doing the head. As it may have oil consumption after wards. But at least soak it,check everything out,and maybe put in new bearings on the bottom end. I had to replace the head on a 1984 Oldsmobile Firenza. It had the 1.8l motor that was always cracking heads (until I made the fan stay on,that cured that) Any way,I replaced the head @ around 118,000 miles,didnt touch the bottom end,and lucked out. It ran great.

Last edited:

49.gif

I agree!! simple on that application but if the OP is up for that challenge is another story.

49.gif

I agree!! simple on that application but if the OP is up for that challenge is another story.

good way of putting it "D" like the other member stated,lets see what happens.

The real question is what oil to use once all cleaned up so all this hard work is not in vain and doesn't come back!!

The real question is what oil to use once all cleaned up so all this hard work is not in vain and doesn't come back!!

Mobil-1,or PU. (in my humble opinion)any way.

Any 5w-30 oil that is API rated SL/SM/SN. No need for anything other than that.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

I dunno,,is that what got him there in the first place?
56.gif
hopefully he'll at least run SN.

I dunno,,is that what got him there in the first place?
56.gif
hopefully he'll at least run SN.

I'd not worry about SN. What got him there is either PCV issues, Coolant, too long of an OCI or super short trips.

Doubt 99.99% its anything to do with what oil the previous owner used.

The 2.5l I4 is a strong engine. Its needs for oil is simple.

Bill

What got him there is either PCV issues, Coolant, too long of an OCI or super short trips.

has he addressed any of that yet? i haven't read.

What got him there is either PCV issues, Coolant, too long of an OCI or super short trips.

I think he said that he could not get the Valve so he cleaned the old one up. (or something like that)

Nothing else that I can recall on the coolant.

I think he said he cleaned up the pcv valve,and replaced the t-stat.

Quote:
But how do we know? If there ever was an engine to try it on..this is it.

C'mon guys!! Up to 40% of sludge removed in the first oil change?? Don't you believe the hype?

If it does, I'm sending Pennzoil a Christmas present!!
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back