Which oil for my Landy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys!

I have a Land Rover Defender 2001 TD5. The owners manual recommends ACEA A1/B1 5W-30 or 5W-40. The car has been recently imported from United Arab Emirates where it was being serviced by the Land Rover dealer. The required oil is not available here so I'm using mobil 1 fully synthetic 5w-50 Acea A3/B3 and A3/B4 Mobil1 5W-50and I change after 10k kms. However I am not comfortable with this oil and the closest/best option here is Mibil Delvac 1 5W-40 Acea E7/E4 And Liquimoly Synthoil HT 5W-40 Acea A3/B4. So Would delvac 1 be a superior oil since it meets E7 specs which seem to be superior than A1/B1.

Since These engines use pumpe duse system like Vw's so I'm worried about damaging the cam by not using the right oil. My friend already changed the cam and tappets on his PD golf at 70k on the clock because he never paid attention to the oil.

please help.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: river_rat
Looked into Amsoil High Zinc formula or Brad Penn, Pengrade 1?

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I can't look into any other oil since none are available here. I have to choose between one of the two I have mentioned. So can some one look into the tech. stuff and tell me which one is better suited or closer to the recommended A1/B1.

Cheers!

Last edited:
The Delvac would be my choice of the two. I don't know the other oil at all. The Mobil has the right viscosity for the climate there and it's a robust oil.

Is the mechanical injection cam fully rollerised like VW? If so, if there is a failure it would be in material engineering/design and no oil spec difference would help you with injector cam failure. I would pick the oil for your climate, operation conditions and mfg spec.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Looked into Amsoil High Zinc formula or Brad Penn, Pengrade 1?

Hello?! OP just imported this vehicle from UAE into Pakistan....

And you expect him to be able to get Brad Penn or Amsoil in
Pakistan?

Q.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Im gonna call my dodge a Dodgy the next time I go to Azone.

Nice one... thats what they call it in UK!

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Is the mechanical injection cam fully rollerised like VW? If so, if there is a failure it would be in material engineering/design and no oil spec difference would help you with injector cam failure. I would pick the oil for your climate, operation conditions and mfg spec.

You are right about that!After that issue occurred in the Golf, I did some research and found out that there is actually a materials/design issue in that engine.. The lobes on the cams pressurizing the injectors are very narrow and not strong enough. And that the problem occurs sooner or later with all engines. But VW strongly insists on using the PD oil. And many oil manufacturers have specially formulated oils for these engines like Fuchs and Liquimoly both being german.

My LR's engine has the same principle but I have never heard of such a problem.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
The Delvac would be my choice of the two. I don't know the other oil at all. The Mobil has the right viscosity for the climate there and it's a robust oil.

I like this oil too and I have used it in the past. But the underlying question remains... Are ACEA E7/E4 specs superior than ACEA A1/B1?? Does E7 cover A1/B1?

I have given links to data sheets of both oils... Delvac 1 and Liquimoly. If some one who understands all those terms and numbers can please compare them and tell me which oil is better to use where ACEA A1/B1 specs are needed.

That would be a big help!

Originally Posted By: Charged

ok,,,did not know that,,sorry

Originally Posted By: Charged

ok,,,did not know that,,sorry

No worries at all!

Your Landy is a Diesel, correct? Then the Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 seems to be your best option. It's a quality diesel formulated motor oil. I'm not sure about the ACEA specs you quoted for this oil, I never saw them before. Usually the ACEA specs are something like A1/B1 or A5/B5 and other similar ones. In the US "our" version of Castrol Edge 5W-30 meets ACEA A1/B1 & A5/B5 specs.

If your not a diesel then the Delvac will still in a give you that extra protection anyway.

Whimsey

It's a hard call to make since the Liquimoly meets the highest ACEA passenger car diesel specs A3/B4 and the delvac likewise the highest ACEA commercial diesel specs (for non DPF engines), E4/E7.
I will say that the pretty widespread Mercedes 6.4/7.2L 900 series diesel has roller cam followers for the unit injectors and Delvac 1 is on the highest Mercedes commercial spec list of 228.5. However the Liquimoly only meets the "middle" Mercedes passenger car engine spec of 229.3, not 229.5.
I use Delvac 1 SHC in the 902.912 in my Unimog.
So I would lean to the Delvac 1.

Charlie

PS: Courier Driver, sorry for flaming, but your posts are epitomes of irrelevancy.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Your Landy is a Diesel, correct? Then the Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 seems to be your best option. It's a quality diesel formulated motor oil. I'm not sure about the ACEA specs you quoted for this oil, I never saw them before. Usually the ACEA specs are something like A1/B1 or A5/B5 and other similar ones. In the US "our" version of Castrol Edge 5W-30 meets ACEA A1/B1 & A5/B5 specs.

If your not a diesel then the Delvac will still in a give you that extra protection anyway.

Whimsey

Yes its a diesel and you can check out the specs here ACEA specs And ACEA specsII !

Thnaks.

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
It's a hard call to make since the Liquimoly meets the highest ACEA passenger car diesel specs A3/B4 and the delvac likewise the highest ACEA commercial diesel specs (for non DPF engines), E4/E7.
I will say that the pretty widespread Mercedes 6.4/7.2L 900 series diesel has roller cam followers for the unit injectors and Delvac 1 is on the highest Mercedes commercial spec list of 228.5. However the Liquimoly only meets the "middle" Mercedes passenger car engine spec of 229.3, not 229.5.
I use Delvac 1 SHC in the 902.912 in my Unimog.
So I would lean to the Delvac 1.

Charlie

PS: Courier Driver, sorry for flaming, but your posts are epitomes of irrelevancy.

Thanks. Delvac makes more sense to me as well but today I found another oil Caltex havoline fully synthetic 5W-30 which meets the required ACEA A1/B1 specs Havoline and Havoline 5W-30 . But it was too cheap for a qood quality fully synthetic oil and the store keeper was telling me thats its not fully synthetic but then he doesn't know jack, he just sells oil.

The price was USD 25 for four liters for this caltex And price of Delvac 1 is USD 52 for four liters and price for mobil 1 5W-50 synthetic and Liquimoly 5W-40 synthetic is USD 42 for four liters.

Relative to A3/B4, A1/B1 offers a bit less piston deposit protection but better fuel economy, at the cost of an HTHS (high temp/high shear) viscosity of 2.9-3.5, vs. the A3/B4 and of course the Delvac having an HTHS>3.5 (more like 4.0 in the case of the Delvac).
Considering the heat of the plains where you live, the stress of climbing in the hill country, and your concern about roller cam followers, I'd get either an A3/B4 or E4/E7 oil. Otherwise, you'd be trading a loss of film thickness for a slight fuel economy gain.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie... for making it conclusive!!

So if I use the Delvac 1... what mileage is it good for like the maximum.

Originally Posted By: Quest
Hello?! OP just imported this vehicle from UAE into Pakistan....

And you expect him to be able to get Brad Penn or Amsoil in
Pakistan?

Q.

Well, having never been to Pakistan, I guess I just don't know what can or cannot be ordered and shipped there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back