PureONE PL24651 Ford 5.4L w/M1 0w30 AFE 3,000Km

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
I think this is the shortest I've ever run a filter.

When I was trying to track down my mysterious tick (which ended up being a spark plug wanting to join the free world, as per my other thread) I changed out the oil filter for an FL-820S to see if that would make a difference.

Nope!

But we've got pictures
grin.gif

Also, the grit is back! So apparently thinner oil in this engine = cleaning. What had tapered off and then stopped when I was running the 40-weights is now back with the (light) M1 0w30 AFE. What is surprising (to me at least) is the quantity of grit in the filter in such a short run (3,000Km). IIRC, there wasn't much more than this with the full 10K run of M1 5w20 when we first bought this truck.

Anyway, the filter looks good. Media was very hard to cut through.

The same oil is still in the engine (but with a Motorcraft filter) which hopefully will last me the winter. Will be interesting to see what is in the next filter.

PureONEExpy201001.jpg

PureONEExpy201002.jpg

PureONEExpy201003.jpg

PureONEExpy201004.jpg

PureONEExpy201005.jpg

PureONEExpy201006.jpg

Are you sure the grit isn't from you cutting the filter?? If not that is a little freaky. Maybe spring for a UOA w/ Particle analysis next OC. Thanks for the pics!

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Are you sure the grit isn't from you cutting the filter?? If not that is a little freaky. Maybe spring for a UOA w/ Particle analysis next OC. Thanks for the pics!

100% sure. I cut the filter at the seam at the top of the can. This grit is at the bottom. It is also between all the pleats. You can rub it off with your finger.

A couple of pics from the last time I had the grit with the 5w20:

motorcraft10.jpg

motorcraft8.jpg

Those are from a 10K OCI.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
Wow! Maybe the 30 weight slings off the cams more and is cleaning the inside of the VC.

Not sure. There was a little bit of grit with my PC 0w40 run, but again, that was a full 10K run. And there was far less than this.... Which is a 3K run. Sort of freaks me out. I really don't know where it is coming from. Peering through the fill hole, the engine is incredibly clean. So maybe it is from the ring-pack area? I don't know. Will be nice to see it stop eventually! LOL!

Well they say the Ford Modulars like light oil. And you said you liked the 0-30 vs the 0-40. Stick with it!

Originally Posted By: beast3300
Well they say the Ford Modulars like light oil. And you said you liked the 0-30 vs the 0-40. Stick with it!

My experience with this engine has been that this oil is her "favourite". As quiet as the 0w40 and 5w40 M1 oils, but smoother and freer. The 5w20 was louder, and felt the exact same as the 40-weights. There is something different about this stuff.

Only issue is that we don't have it up here. So StevieC grabs me some whenever he goes stateside. I have 24L of it on hand right now.

Overkill - how do you rate the quality of the PureOne versus the Motorcraft? Did you see any advantages of one over the other?

Chris you got some cleaning happening,i see this allot with M1 and my filters it'll tapper off after some time.

how many runs of M1 has this engine seen?,anything different this run?

Can you tell what that stuff is, Overkill? Might it be plastic from TC tensioners? A guy at a Ford dealership showed me something that looked similar a coupla years ago and that's what it was. You might wash some in brakeclean and see if it's carbon, oxidation byproducts or???

Overk1ll,
As you know I only use M1 in my engines, and when I buy them they are either new or with very few miles on the clock. Even after 100-250K miles I still don't get any grit at all. So what you are seeing is just clean up from the previous owner. IMO. I even have a friend that is doing 15K mile OCIs,( 03 Windstar 3.8) with 5-30EP, and his filters are staying grit free. No doubt, in time , your engine will clean up with the 0-30.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Can you tell what that stuff is, Overkill? Might it be plastic from TC tensioners? A guy at a Ford dealership showed me something that looked similar a coupla years ago and that's what it was. You might wash some in brakeclean and see if it's carbon, oxidation byproducts or???

Jim:

It believe it is carbon. Definitely not plastic! I can break it up with my fingers by rubbing them together.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Overkill - how do you rate the quality of the PureOne versus the Motorcraft? Did you see any advantages of one over the other?

The Motorcraft has a threaded-end bypass, which is better. Other than that, both filters seem very well constructed. I have plenty of both on hand, as I bought a case of the Motorcraft ones, and a stack of PureONE's at an absolute steal from a parts store that was clearing them out.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Yep ... sounds like carbon from clean-up action.

That's what I figure. It will stop eventually whenever it is done cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back