Hastings Trans Filters now MADE IN CHINA???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching for a transmission filter for a 100k mile 03' Buick Regal (4T65E trans) Saturday, I didn't like the AZ and Advanced kits as they were Chinese and looked pretty chintzy. I ended up with the Hastings Premium filter for $20 at z local parts store, only to find when I took it out of the box that it is also made in China?

I put it in anyway as I need the car back on the road, but the original Delco filter went 100k in this car and the fluid still looked good, but I won't trust a Chinese filter that far! I guess a GM dealer for a Delco one is the only place to get a quality ATF filter now?

I have been worried at first about the Chinese filters as well. Primary concern not being filtration but integrity. I dropped mine at 60K on my truck and it looked just fine.

It's a rock stopper anyways, if your concerned about filtration I'd look into the other examples mentioned here.

Hastings has been favorably mentioned in the past on here, which is why I was surprised they had gone the China route now. It's not like they're cheap either at $20 for just the filter, no gasket (stock is reuseable) etc.

I was at an Advanced Auto Parts and saw a bulletin posted near the cash register about Chinese built Purolator fuel filters that had been recalled due to subpar build quality, which would cause them to leak, potentially causing a fire.

This just reinforces my belief that I can't trust Chinese made auto parts anymore.

Last Hastings oil filter I used was Chinese made also. Mail ordered it, and what I got was not what the pic on the site represented. Ran it anyway, no drama.

I got a Wix hydraulic filter and it was made in china. Did not want that again so next time I got a Donaldson, also made in china and was a carbon copy of the WiX, although 2x the price.

Now I'm curious, I do wonder if any factory in the US is making a 4T65E filter anymore, since Wix is also moving to Chinese stuff? GM has built millions of that trans since the early 1990s and put them in nearly every FWD car. It has to be one of the most common trans on the road today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back