Honda MTF alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Guys,

I need advice, please

I'm living in a country that I can not find the HONDA MTF oil for my S2000.

I checked at Land Rover dealer, nothing.

I asked Honda dealer, and they are using for all Honda gearboxes, the "Mobil fluid 424"

My thinking :

What I understand, the Manual Transmission Fluid from Honda is a 10w30 or 10w40 engine oil + GOOD additives to protect the gearboxes.

My question is can I use a full synthetic motocycle oil as MOTUL or CASTROL in 10w30 or 10w40 on my Honda S2000 gearbox ? as motocycle oil have additives for motocycle gearboxes
grin.gif

Thank you in advance for your advices
grin.gif

This is a subject that I and many other S2000 owners have considered many times. The answer is yes, there are suitable alternatives to Honda MTF. Honda actually states in the manual that 10W-30 engine oil is good as a temporary replacement. But Honda MTF II is not like the original. It has a lower viscosity, and most likely a different additive package. I've also seen evidence of a Honda MTF III available in Europe, but have not seen it in the States. I am not familiar with any of its characteristics.

Hopefully, you can do oil changes yourself in order to save some money while experimenting. Other manufacturers carry a designated MTF. For instance, synchromesh fluids might be a good place to start. I have used GM Synchromesh Friction Modified (same as AC Delco) with some success. The Japanese manufacturers probably offer a re-labeled MTF similar to Honda's. I'm not familiar with the Mobil 424 fluid that the Honda dealer uses. Have you tried it? Do you have a link?

If Internet ordering is an option, then AMSOIL MTF would be an excellent choice. Many owners report that Redline MTL works well too, but MT-90 seems a little too viscous. With your tropical climate, you may not notice though.

If your search fails finding a designated MTF, and you don't like the dealer Mobil fluid, then maybe a multi-vis SAE 80 or 85 GL4 is available that you can try.

Going back to using a 10W-30 engine oil, this is is exactly what I am using now (temporarily of course). After about 4 months, I've been very pleased with the overall performance. It is different than any other fluid I've tried, but not unpleasant in any way. You do have to let it warm up a little bit longer before any aggressive shifting though. It just feels like it offers better protection than any other fluid I've tried so far, especially during the hot summer months. I will do a UOA to see how the AW additives worked, but suspect that AMSOIL MTF (5W-30)will be going in there next.

Good luck, enjoy your awesome car, and welcome to BITOG!

THANK YOU SO MUCH Guys for all the replies and advices !!!

grin.gif

Just for information, the MOBIL FLUID 424 is :
http://www.autokreso.hr/ulja/downloads/kamioni_mobil/Mobilfluid 424.pdf

Mobilfluid 424 is an extra high performance multipurpose tractor lubricant engineered to meet or exceed transmission and hydraulic
fluid requirements. The advanced technology in Mobilfluid 424 is designed to optimize the performance of agricultural and commercial
tractors operating in a wide range of environments and conditions. This next generation product combines select base oils and an advanced additive package to deliver the varied lubricant performance properties required by the drive trains of agricultural and construction equipment proven in severe duty applications. It is particularly well suited for reducing wet brake and Power Take-Off(PTO) chatter.

I suspect that the Mobil 424 fluid might actually work very well. Has the dealership used this in a S2000 tranny yet? Any feedback by customers on shift quality?

Hi INDYMAC,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes the dealership is currently using that oil in all the HONDA cars in my country.

He told me that oil has enough low viscosity for Honda gearboxes and has no negative feedback on that.

He also told me on my S2K tranny, they used that oil.

So if you said that oil might be good for my tranny, I will continue using that, until that I find source to order the original Honda MTF.... I beleive that the MTF from Honda might have more protective additives for my Honda tranny !!! than the Mobil Fluid 424 !?!?!

What do you think ?

Thanks again !!!!

No,to motorcycle oils. They may have less friction modifiers the the proper product.

Sorry must have pushed the wrong button.The 3 oils are;Castrol VMX80,Amsoil MTF or Redline MTL.The Castrol is a conventional synchromesh fluid rated SAE80 or 5w30,it would improve the gearshift feel considerably over what you are using now and is readily available throughout Australasia as are the other two oils.Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: JimmyChainsaw
Sorry must have pushed the wrong button.The 3 oils are;Castrol VMX80,Amsoil MTF or Redline MTL.The Castrol is a conventional synchromesh fluid rated SAE80 or 5w30,it would improve the gearshift feel considerably over what you are using now and is readily available throughout Australasia as are the other two oils.Hope this helps.

Thank you JimmyChainsaw for the CASTROL info !!! from New Caledonia !!!
wink.gif

I've just checked the oil on Google and looks very interesting.

For info :
http://www.stealth316.com/misc/castrol_vm_80_gl4.pdf

Thanks again to all you Guys for your help, advices and knowlage.

Now I need to check if in my small island they have that oil !!!
crazy.gif

I have Red Line MTL in my Accord manual transmission. Not bad, but it feels stiffer than it was with the factory fill. Thought maybe it would shear, but I now have 35K without much change.

Nissan dealers have a 75w80 and 75w85. Kia/Hyundai dealers might have 75w85. GM dealers have Synchromesh.

I can't believe that a genuine Honda dealer can't get the required fluid, which is just a PN through their ordering system. Hazmat shipping issue?

How about ordering from NewZealand or Australia?
http://www.nulon.com.au/product_group/Gear_and_Differential_Oils/
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/gear-oils/manual_gear_oil_75
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/gear-oils/sin_manual_trans

I bet that you might be able to find Royalpurple SynchroMax, Redline MTL, Amsoil MTF... on one of the other islands and have it shipped.

Hi Olish,

I own a civic and last time I replaced my clutch my mecanician put in 75W90 gearoil.
Now 1st gear is hard and seems like the transmision is a little bit hot.
So what about Castrol VMX80? Is is good for our Honda transmission?

I called Honda and I have the same answer as you.They told me that they use Mobil 424.

Thanks.

Oilish, I read you already decided on a fluid, but I just wanted to say, I just last night put Amsoil in my Civic's manual trans, and as expected it is fantastic.
It literally feels better than the factory fill with only 1500KM on it. (my car is almost brand new) I would never not recommend Amsoil trans fluid to anyone. The stuff rocks, plain and simple.

Originally Posted By: Mau
I decided to go with GM Synchromesh Friction Modified, it is superb! No more 3rd gear pop out, no more crunches. It goes in to 3rd and 4th clean no hassle!

Good choice! That is an excellent lube. I have used it before and it definately improves shift quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back