Thinking I need to dump the Havoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
This morning it was 9*F outside when I went to start my car. The engine was noisier than usual and really sluggish also it want to rev at about 1900rpm. I think I'm going to dump the 5w-30 Havoline thats in there and get some Mobil 0w-30AFE. Don't like the noisy thats coming from my valve train. Its gonna be cold changing it.....
shocked.gif
13.gif

its spec'ed for 5w-30. It sounds fine when its warmed up but until then sounds likes someones under the hood with maracas...

Ahh yea,well that's where a synthetic shines with cold temps.

AFE works good for me here in MI,i actually run it all year around.

what filter you running??

Gimme a break!

Havoline 5W-30 is a very thin 5W-30 that has really, really cold cold-crank values, 5200cp @-30C.

You're not anywhere NEAR that temp, so Havoline 5W-30 is more than adequate - you do NOT need to dump it for a 0W-30 syn!!!

Really people!

Wow so weird, I was looking at Havoline UOA's when your message popped up. 9F is cold but a 5W should be able to handle that. You gotta do what you gotta do though. A syn is definitely better in winter though. You just missed the AAP sale on Castrol I picked up the EDGE 0w20 and a K&N filter for $32.99 that stuff is $9 a quart usually next time they have it stock up...it's outstanding oil. I've heard people say the same thing you are with AFE (loud,rough etc.) I don't understand it. I would get Edge 5w20-30 at Walmart.

I have ran the AFE before but havoline was cheaper this go around and thought that since it was on the thinner side of 30 weight oil then it would be ok for over the winter.... guess i might have been wrong...

I wouldn't be overly obsessed about the differences between 5W30 and 0W30.

The colder the weather gets, the more weird noise you gonna get when you first fire up the cold engine. This is considered normal.

my 2c's worth. I don't waste precious resource just because I'm obsessed with the noise in this case.

Q.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Gimme a break!

Havoline 5W-30 is a very thin 5W-30 that has really, really cold cold-crank values, 5200cp @-30C.

You're not anywhere NEAR that temp, so Havoline 5W-30 is more than adequate - you do NOT need to dump it for a 0W-30 syn!!!

Really people!

Hey if he wans to run cooking oil what's it to you? he says he's having problem if he wants to change out go for it,it's his choice.

i'd care less what oil he uses,plain fact is a synthetic performs better in cold temps,period!

Break times over!!!

Originally Posted By: Quest

The colder the weather gets, the more weird noise you gonna get when you first fire up the cold engine. This is considered normal.

my 2c's worth. I don't waste precious resource just because I'm obsessed with the noise in this case.

Q.

I wasn't just gonna "dump it" i was going to put it in a clean, sealable container and use it when i change it this spring. That oil only has about 800 miles on it... I'm not that thick.... look at sig...

Originally Posted By: Big_Kat
Originally Posted By: Quest

Q.

I wasn't just gonna "dump it" i was going to put it in a clean, sealable container and use it when i change it this spring. That oil only has about 800 miles on it... I'm not that thick.... look at sig...

Why not put a little MMO in your oil?? It will thin it a bit maybe a 1/4 of a quart or so.

Hey Kat, it indeed was a bit chilly here this morning
smile.gif
Which part of IA are you in? If it is the UofI, I am just right down the road from you, drop me a PM if you like. Good news is its supposed to warm into high 20's or 30 this week, but chance of snow/freezing rain on Sat..
frown.gif

I haven't dumped it yet, just added about 4-6oz of MMO to a 4.4 qt sump. Seems to have helped a little.

Originally Posted By: Summerwind
Hey Kat, it indeed was a bit chilly here this morning
smile.gif
Which part of IA are you in? If it is the UofI, I am just right down the road from you, drop me a PM if you like. Good news is its supposed to warm into high 20's or 30 this week, but chance of snow/freezing rain on Sat..
frown.gif

Yea Saturday sounds nuts... don't think ill be driving anywhere if i do not necessarily have to. Monday and Tuesday are gonna be chilly looked at the weather at work to night calling for -5 Monday and Tuesday for the low... Brrrrr... I am in the southern part of the state... could almost spit to Missouri lol

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Gimme a break!

Really people!

Where did you get the CCV? I checked the .pds for Havoline and nothing is listed to indicate this value?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back