Ford V10 95k burns 1qt every 1500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a Ford Excursion with a V10 and the oil consumption seems a little high for something with only 95k miles on it. It seems to be burning 1 qt per 1500 miles which is more than I would expect. I am running M1 10w-30. Could the rings be shot in this short of a time or maybe the valve stem seals are going on it? It is a 2000 model. My 95 Ranger with 200k on it burns less than a quart in 10,000 miles. I know that rings can get gummed up so maybe I am worried about nothing and it will get better or at least not any worse. I figure the M1 can only help clean it out but it is not going to fix valve seals. It seems to run fine other than the oil consumption.

Perry

I don't know a lot specifically about the Ford V10, but the more total ring circumference an engine has, the more oil it will burn. Big V10s have a LOT of ring circumference!

But don't rule out the little stuff- PCV valves and PCV plumbing can contribute a lot of oil consumption. Make sure the system is in good shape.

Checked all the PCV stuff and it is good. This is the first oil change so it may get better. Yeah there is alot ring area to leak oil past on the V10. I could live with the oil consumption as it is now as long as it does not continue to get worse. I assume that if it gets worse it is something like valve stem seals and not rings.

Perry

My father in law has an F250 with this motor and of similar vintage, but about 55,000 miles on it. He too experiences consumption of a quart or so every 1.5-2k miles. I don't know if his pcv valve has been replaced or not.

If you've gone through the pcv system, and if this thing simply uses a qt every 1.5K, and doesn't get any worse over time, I woudn't worry about it.
Some engines use more oil than others.
If consumption doesn't change over the coming miles, I'd say that the engine is just fine.

This is a common complaint with the V10. Mine didn't really use any oil when run on Motorcraft 5W-30. Switch to AmsOil, and it started using at the rate you describe. It was suggested to me to run MMO, and slowly but surely, the oil consumption dropped. Of course, mine had 195k miles on it, but with yours getting less than 10k per year put on it, it may still be sticky rings.

Either way, with a quart of MMO being cheaper than a quart of M1, you won't lose anything trying it.

fdgc27 has it right. Some engines burn some oil and others don't. A quart in 1500 miles in an engine of that size is not unusual. Similar consumption in a 2 liter engine would be of more concern. As long as the consumption is stable, I would not be concerned.

There was a post about a Shell study where they compared dino 5w-20 and 5w-30, and 5w-20 had the best ring seal due to faster flow. So, you should try the lightest 30 you can find and see if that helps. Two options that are lighter than M1 10w-30 are Havoline Deposit Shield, and Castrol Syntec.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd add a quart of MMO to a few oil fills to see if it helps. It certainly won't hurt.

Sounds about right. At work they have 10 E450's with the V10. Some burn a quart at about that rate. Others don't start burning until 5k and few others never lose a ounce! Usually it's the ones that get driven the hardest in beginning never burn oil. They love being beat on. When I check them once a week they usually get a Italian tuneup.. and you can usually tell which ones are babied. Had one smoking so bad you'd thought it was overheating.

Try M1 0w40 in it. I really liked it in my 5.4L and it did a lot of cleaning (as did M1 5w20, but I had 1L/10K consumption with it, none with the 0w40). The 6.8L V10 is basically just a 5.4L with two extra cylinders.

After putting a few miles on it the consumption has gone down to 2000 per quart of oil. At least it is not enough to have to worry about on a trip. I have been gooseing it a little so maybe it just needed a little honeing out.

Perry

You may have a little ring coking caused by long OCIs with dino. I would try M1 5-30HM next OC. This oil may begine to clean up you engine if that's what's needed.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Personally, I'd add a quart of MMO to a few oil fills to see if it helps. It certainly won't hurt.

I would also add some MMO in the fuel. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back