What happens if I put 10w30 in a Briggs engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My snowblower calls for 5w30 for engines running under 32 F. I accidentally bought 10w30 and I can't return it since I opened it. What happens if I run 10w30 in the winter time?

If you keep it warm in your garage, nothing. But the 10w will be harder to pump than the 5w at lower temps.

Originally Posted By: fredjacksonsan
If you keep it warm in your garage, nothing. But the 10w will be harder to pump than the 5w at lower temps.

It's just a mechanical pump and mechanical pumps are tough. Should I still be worried?

No don't be worried. Most people just run straight 30. Makes it a bit harder to pull, and you might have to give it another pull or two due to that, but the engine will run fine. Just give it a couple min to warm up and go to work!

I have an allis charmers snow blower it was bought new in 1966 before i was born and it has a 4 hp briggs engine and runs great to this day and it has always been used for a large piece of property...This machine runs circles around my neighbors 10 hp briggs and the only oil we have ever used is strait 30 pennzoil once a year..My father was in construction and had all allis charmers and cat equipment..

Pop, your conditions probably are not cold enough that you would notice the difference in pull-starting between a SAE30, 5w30 or 10w30 w/ this type of equipment. Once up to temp, they're all the 'same' oil and are going to offer the same protection for that engine.

Today, I personally don't see the point in a passenger car 10w30 oil. I know it's worked perfectly for folks for 50yrs, but if I wanted a multi-weight 30, it would be 5w30 or 0w30.

I also haven't bothered with SAE30 in years. If heat or a hot running air cooled engine is a concern, I go with HDEO's like 15w40 or 5w40. 5w40 will allow you to pull start easier in extreme cold better than most 5w30's would.

Joel

I live in cold country. We occasionally see forty below F. Not often thankfully. I used 10W30 for years in my 10 h.p. Tecumseh engines. If it's around -20F, they can be a bit stiff to turn over with the pull start. The electric start had no problem cranking the engine with 10W40 at any temps that I used it at.

OMG!
What might happem on 10W-30?

The engine will run great, and will suffer no negative consequences.
These little guys are not at all picky about oil, as long as you have some in there.

Originally Posted By: Popinski

It's just a mechanical pump and mechanical pumps are tough. Should I still be worried?

I wouldn't be; just warm it up some before you put a load on it.

NOTHING will happen! I run only valvoline sae30 yr round in all my small engines, and have done this forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back