API SG? HUH???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: daman
Well nothing wrong with a healthily dose of ZDDP that's for sure grab some HDEO and go!

cant believe were 2 pages in.
grin2.gif

Neither can I. Guess some people are overly passionate even about small engine oil.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Shipped to the house was $345( $40 shipping )...

I am leaning towards RP SL 10W-30 at this point...

Great price! There's no doubt 10w30 is a great catch-all oil that will suit you fine. If this portable gen saw extreme use I'd say you would be making a mistake running 10w30 regardless of what Lifan says, but for most of us, a full, clean sump of 10w30/5w30/SAE30 serves it's purpose.

Joel

"I freely admit I don't know a ton about these small engines which is why I asked."

I wasn't going to bother carrying on with this discussion because it's obviously apparent that you do not want to accept the simplicity of the advice to answer your request.

Nonetheless, I'll try to explain some basics to you.

Two clone engines that are virtually the same in every aspect will not have differing lubrication demands. Regardless of the name or even where it's built.

The colour of the paint job or the brand name will have no effect on lubrication requirements.

Adios'

Well nothing wrong with a healthily dose of ZDDP that's for sure grab some HDEO and go!

grin2.gif

Neither can I. Guess some people are overly passionate even about small engine oil.
21.gif

I was waiting for you to quote me so i can tell you i was just giving you a hard time hence the smiley^^^

but anyway i too was undecided on oil i knew a HDEO is what i wanted for the added robustness is provides if M1 would have had something i would have went that route but they really don't and i wanted to stay with a 30w for cold cranking ability's as this 13hp has no electric start and it will be used in the winter months also started from a non heated garage,so thats why i settled on the amsoil ACD and never looked back.

grin2.gif

21.gif

I was waiting for you to quote me so i can tell you i was just giving you a hard time hence the smiley^^^

but anyway i too was undecided on oil i knew a HDEO is what i wanted for the added robustness is provides if M1 would have had something i would have went that route but they really don't and i wanted to stay with a 30w for cold cranking ability's as this 13hp has no electric start and it will be used in the winter months also started from a non heated garage,so thats why i settled on the amsoil ACD and never looked back.

Oh I knew you meant nothing by it and were just having some fun.

Originally Posted By: JTK

Shipped to the house was $345( $40 shipping )...

I am leaning towards RP SL 10W-30 at this point...

Great price! There's no doubt 10w30 is a great catch-all oil that will suit you fine. If this portable gen saw extreme use I'd say you would be making a mistake running 10w30 regardless of what Lifan says, but for most of us, a full, clean sump of 10w30/5w30/SAE30 serves it's purpose.

Joel

Yup, just emergency use cycling the furnace and fridge during winter outages is the intended purpose. Definitely not RV use or commercial or anything. If I run it during the summer due to power issues( fridge )I will keep your heavier oil recommendation in mind.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
"I freely admit I don't know a ton about these small engines which is why I asked."

I wasn't going to bother carrying on with this discussion because it's obviously apparent that you do not want to accept the simplicity of the advice to answer your request.

Nonetheless, I'll try to explain some basics to you.

Two clone engines that are virtually the same in every aspect will not have differing lubrication demands. Regardless of the name or even where it's built.

The colour of the paint job or the brand name will have no effect on lubrication requirements.

Adios'

Chill out man. I appreciate your advice as much as anyones. Just don't feel I should go by a Champion manual which is what you are basing everything you have said to me on. No need to get so upset. It is just an oil discussion.

I'd just use 5w30 or 10w30 SL rated oil. 5w40 would even work for shearing room. Part of me thinks when they translated that manual they left out the part "API SG or better"

Originally Posted By: NHHEmi
As to all API spec's being backwards compatible that is the theory but it doesn't always translate to reality as older high performance and muscle car engines have shown with wear issues using SM oil( lowered ZDDP ).

Vastly overblown conspiracy theory perpetuated by the tinfoil hat crowd. Started by those who refused to take responsibility for aftermarket cams with improper materials, heat treating, or break in.

Even if the claim has validity, your engine has absolutely nothing in common with the "high performance muscle cars" in question.

I don't want to be rude but you got several good answers to your "simple question" and they weren't what you wanted to hear so you dismissed them for really bad reasons.

Originally Posted By: flatlandtacoma
Originally Posted By: NHHEmi
As to all API spec's being backwards compatible that is the theory but it doesn't always translate to reality as older high performance and muscle car engines have shown with wear issues using SM oil( lowered ZDDP ).

Vastly overblown conspiracy theory perpetuated by the tinfoil hat crowd. Started by those who refused to take responsibility for aftermarket cams with improper materials, heat treating, or break in.

Even if the claim has validity, your engine has absolutely nothing in common with the "high performance muscle cars" in question.

I don't want to be rude but you got several good answers to your "simple question" and they weren't what you wanted to hear so you dismissed them for really bad reasons.

I never said I had a muscle car engine in my generator. I was making a general comment regarding claims API spec's are always backwards compatible. If you think that wear in older engines running SM is a tinfoil hat theory I have no idea what to say to you on that. My concern with this all is these small engines are put through the ringer and if they are designed to run on an oil with a lot of ZDDP( which is not out of the question )SM oil could be a problem. That is why I asked if perhaps SJ or SL would be a better option than SM or SN in an engine calling for SG.

I am sorry that you feel I dismissed good answers for bad reasons. I disagree. I can only give some much importance and credibility to info from people trying to tell me things based on the manual from other mfg's or what they run in other brand generators however. Being told what to do for my Lifan based on what Champion, Honda, or whatever other mfg does with a similar engine can only go so far in answering my question. It is some info to consider but it is not info to be taken as gospel.

Doesn't mean I don't give any credence to comments from those saying I have a simialr motor in another brand but I am not going to just take it as gospel. The info is not from the mfg of my product. That would be like using a GM owner's manual for a VW or a Ford manual for a Toyota. Even if they shared technology or even engines outright the different mfg's can have different requirements.

Enough with the tinfoil hat references please. It is insulting. I have shown you nothing but respect. Please show me the same courtesy. If you have nothing constructive to add to my thread please just move on rather than continually going after me. Thanks for the input now let it go.

Last edited:
Your more forgiving then I'd be NHHEMI i would told him to [censored] k off long ago!!!!!
thumbsup2.gif

Why, because I told the truth? That his chonda engine doesn't need some exotic oil? You can compress the valve springs on that engine with your pinky finger. He doesn't need sg levels of zddp. He probably doesn't even need gf-4 levels of zddp.

You are right, how DARE I use logic and reason on this message board. I'll try to fit in better.

I recommend he should use the most expensive oil he can find, sl rated or even better sj rated if he can find it.
thumbsup2.gif

That would be like using a GM owner's manual for a VW or a Ford manual for a Toyota.

Actually more like using a gmc truck manual for a chevy truck. They are that identical.

Quote:
Enough with the tinfoil hat references please. It is insulting. I have shown you nothing but respect. Please show me the same courtesy.

You are right, I apologize. Peace.

"Actually more like using a gmc truck manual for a chevy truck. They are that identical."

That was the point I repeatedly tried to make.

Most any OPE engine will live a long, useful life with most any suitable oil.

When two engines are virtually identical in every mechanical and operational aspect, it makes perfect sense that an oil good for one of those two engines would be good for the other as well.

Don't get much simpler than that.

Since the OP has made his oil choice, this discussion is now academic. I am bored, so what the heck.

The problem with logic, reasoning, and common sense is that it is subjective. The self righteous crowd cannot accept the other sides right to their own version of common sense.

Tell me what's wrong with this "logic":

Kawasaki and Kohler are probably the most well respected small engine companies in the world. They both recommend oils with higher additive levels, I.E., here's Kohler's own CJ rated HDEO oil: http://www.kohlerengines.com/accessories/kohlerOil.htm

I would "reason" that it's not unlikely that the components in a Chinese engine are inferior compared to Kohler or Kawasaki regarding metallurgy, fit, and finish. So, if the engineers at Kohler and Kawasaki see need for CJ oil in their better engines, why would it be bad logic to think that the Chinese engine will benefit from the same...at least an SL oil if that is easier to find.

We have no real data to rely on regarding this OPE ZDDP debate. Why can't both sets of beliefs co-mingle and there be world peace? Now, lets all kiss and make up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Since the OP has made his oil choice, this discussion is now academic. I am bored, so what the heck.

The problem with logic, reasoning, and common sense is that it is subjective. The self righteous crowd cannot accept the other sides right to their own version of common sense.

Tell me what's wrong with this "logic":

Kawasaki and Kohler are probably the most well respected small engine companies in the world. They both recommend oils with higher additive levels, I.E., here's Kohler's own CJ rated HDEO oil: http://www.kohlerengines.com/accessories/kohlerOil.htm

I would "reason" that it's not unlikely that the components in a Chinese engine are inferior compared to Kohler or Kawasaki regarding metallurgy, fit, and finish. So, if the engineers at Kohler and Kawasaki see need for CJ oil in their better engines, why would it be bad logic to think that the Chinese engine will benefit from the same...at least an SL oil if that is easier to find.

We have no real data to rely on regarding this OPE ZDDP debate. Why can't both sets of beliefs co-mingle and there be world peace? Now, lets all kiss and make up.

Nothing wrong with that argument, in fact I recommended cj rated rotella t5 back on page 1.

On the flip side Honda also recommends you use Honda 10w30 oil in Honda ope engines. Honda engines are not famous for wearing out prematurely either. Honda 10w30 oil is SM rated pcmo.

I did apologize for my rude comment. Peace.

LCT engines are likely clones but may not be directly based on Honda engines.

For instance, the 208cc LCT engine does not match either the GX200 (196cc) nor the next size up, the GX240 (242cc). Therefore, it does not appear to be a direct Honda knock off as the Champion and Lifan appear to be.

I wouldn't doubt that it's a direct copy of some other well established brand of small engine manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back