3800 LIM Gasket Kit parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

RnR

I'm getting ready for an UIM & LIM gasket replacement on my 1999 3800 SII. I am going to be acquiring the GM aluminum framed gasket pair @ $65 (dealer), but find myself wondering about all of the others that are shown in the PermaDryPlus kit at iNeedParts.com

The sellers aren't inclined to sell those items separately - and I sure don't want to throw money away by needlessly getting their LIM gasket pair with the kit.

Might anyone be able to detail the other gaskets in this set?

20000web.jpg

There are other gaskets and seals in there you will need.
Thermostat gasket or seal,fuel injector O rings,block end seals,water elbow seals.
Two styles are included for both series 1 and series 2.
These are good gaskets but personally i have used and like the new GM aluminum,personal preference really as both work 100%.

You really need other part for this job to be done permanently.
Modified upper intake from ATP,Dorman etc because of the EGR chimney issues with the OEM.The new upper has a new gasket included.Check Rock Auto for these.

Water elbow in the lower manifold that has a habit of breaking,replace it with one from GM OEM.
Now would also be a good time to do the belt and tensioner,thermostat,switch over dexcool to green etc.
Use a GM OEM thermostat with pintle.

If you need any help PM me i have done a lot of these over the years.

I haven't convinced myself that I'd be able to do the work (in the driveway) so I'm presently just trying to get ALL the parts in hand for whomever does the replacement. So basically, there really isn't anything unique to the LIM kit that I can't get locally - right?
  • I agree that the UIM also needs to be done, and will be getting that kit from the web site.
  • I had already acquired a couple coolant elbows from AA, are they inferior to the GM OEM version?
  • What is that blue thingie next to the RTV tube?

So based on your comments, I think we have the following shown (correct me where I am mistaken):

- Aluminum gaskets (2)
- End seals (for both SeriesI and SeriesII) hopefully comes with the GM set
- injector O-Rings (6)
- Thermostat gasket/seal
- Coolant elbow O-rings (2)
- ??? 3 others I have no idea about ???

Should all of these be GM parts?

Pretty strait forward on these 3800's just make sure you use the steel base LIM gasket i like the Felpro's permadry gasket kits never had a return failure with one.

Definitely replace the coolant elbow's. It was recommended to me that they be replaced and I forgot to tell my mechanic. A year and a half later my elbows were cracking and leaking all over, oops. I also thought about trying to do it myself but I just couldn't get the confidence to do it. Talk to your local mechanic, he's probably done lots of them like mine had.

The other O rings and the blue grommet are for the PCV and brake booster port on the upper intake depending on series and year IIRC.

The elbows from AAP i never used them but i believe are from Help? Some Help stuff is okay but sometimes they are inferior to OEM. Dont skimp on this elbow its a real PITA if this cracks or leaks after the job is done.Clean the holes well and use a little RTV on the rings just before inserting the tube.

All parts are available locally AAP sells the Dorman upper intake but take note that the Dorman UIM does not use a heat shield to protect the UIM from the EGR stove pipe.

http://www.ineedparts.com/auto-parts/intake-manifolds/gm-intake-manifold-kit-17806.html

Either FelPro or OEM. Make sure the FelPro are aluminum-framed like OEM will be.

The UIM kit has injector O-rings and a new UIM gasket. Everything you'd need to do the UIM is in the APN kit. Not sure about the Dorman. My car is currently running the APN kit, on there for a year with zero issues to date.

I used the HELP! elbows from Advance on my car. No issues yet. My thermostat housing doesn't have a gasket, and hasn't leaked any.

It's not a terrible job for a DIY. It's a weekender for a first-timer, and you need to have a good organizational system for all the bolts taken off. Other than that, it's fairly straightforward, if time-consuming.

Originally Posted By: defektes
I'd use the felpro problem solver on that one, 10 times better than OEM on a problem gasket.

10 times better? The aluminum GM gaskets are considered one of the best for these engines.The FelPro is a good gasket and probably equal to the GM but certainly not any better.

Related question: I've seen Victor Reinz gaskets that look pretty good. How do they compare with Felpro generally?

Victor are good gaskets although i have not used them in this application.
Lots of excellent gasket manufacturers,for Euro stuff i use mostly elring.
The only ones i am really afraid of are the white box no name variety.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
As far as the upper manifold, get this one from APN:

http://www.ineedparts.com/auto-parts/intake-manifolds/gm-intake-manifold-kit-17806.html

It's the best replacement for the Series II 3800 because it has a steel sleeve in the EGR passage. That with the updated GM metal frame gaskets will fix the problems permanently.
That's the plan. I picked up the LIM gasket pair (with included black/brown block end seals (I hope I know of what I speak) today with a couple of coolant elbows from a dealer. One of those elbows cost 3x the other, so there is at least a very significant pricing difference between GM OEM and the cheaper HELP! editions which I had acquired earlier and have now returned.

Now on to the other items in the above LIM kit picture. I presume I won't need those blue end seals... and will start looking for the injector O-rings (among others).

Everyone's guidance is GREATLY appreciated!

The UIM kit comes with the injector O-rings. No need for those.

Get a good RTV for the end seals. That will prevent any oil leaks later. Many people in the 3800 community like the Ultra Copper RTV since it's orange, and is very visible where it's been applied.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Wow... that means then that BOTH APN kits contain injector O-rings??

Get a good RTV for the end seals. That will prevent any oil leaks later. Many people in the 3800 community like the Ultra Copper RTV since it's orange, and is very visible where it's been applied.
Ok, would I still need the black goop for anything else?

I used the OEM gaskets and the Dorman UIM kit from AAP. A nearby GM dealer matched the prices of on online GM parts dealer .

Remember to clean and seal the threads on the LIM bolts . I used lots of blue Loctite on the threads and let it cure overnight before adding coolant and starting the engine . Be very careful with torquing those bolts (inch pounds only) in proper order per instructions multiple times .

Originally Posted By: RnR
Wow... that means then that BOTH APN kits contain injector O-rings??

1. Sure looks like it. Maybe the o-rings are meant for the supercharged crowd who won't be getting the new UIM.

2. I used the Ultra Copper exclusively on mine. Worked out fine. Although a spare tube of RTV silicone never hurt anybody!

Apply some to the O-rings that go on the coolant elbows immediately before you install the elbows.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Apply some to the O-rings that go on the coolant elbows immediately before you install the elbows.

This caught me off-guard; I thought only silicone grease was to be used on O-rings. The RTV goop is designed to "set-up" and harden a tad isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back