Rotella T5 results in my MB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to the low price of Rotella T5 10W-30 ($11.50) I decided to try it in my 1987 Mercedes 190D turbo with 286,000 mi. When I ran 15W-40 (brand didn't matter) the lifters were noisy, especially right after an oil change. With Rotella T5 the lifters are silent. The cynic in me thinks they will discount it now.

Do you know how the oiling circuit is laid out?

It is possible that you are now actually getting better oil pressure to the lifters due to lower resistance "upstream" in the circuit.

Originally Posted By: Kaboomba

It is possible that you are now actually getting better oil pressure to the lifters due to lower resistance "upstream" in the circuit.

Resistance is the cause of pressure.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
The lifters were always noisy with 15w40, and now are never noisy with T5 10w30?

After I ran the 15W-40(Rotella,Delvac,Chevron & Super Tech are the brands I've run in it) a couple thousand mi the lifters would quiet down and most of the noise was at idle speed away. Even adding the Great Cure All "MMO" wouldn't quiet them. I was planning on replacing the lifters soon (10 @ $25.00ea) but now I'm just going to keep running T5 and see if they stay silent. I'm totally surprised that any oil would have made that much difference. Long Live T5!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Dieselsrule
The lifters were always noisy with 15w40, and now are never noisy with T5 10w30?

After I ran the 15W-40(Rotella,Delvac,Chevron & Super Tech are the brands I've run in it) a couple thousand mi the lifters would quiet down and most of the noise was at idle speed away. Even adding the Great Cure All "MMO" wouldn't quiet them. I was planning on replacing the lifters soon (10 @ $25.00ea) but now I'm just going to keep running T5 and see if they stay silent. I'm totally surprised that any oil would have made that much difference. Long Live T5!
grin.gif

That's pretty amazing! I wonder what's so different about T5?

For one, it's thinner than all the other oils he ran (15w-40).

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

It's not cold enough yet where that should matter.

Yeah, T5 being thinner than 15W-40 is the only reason I can think of. I've had T5 in it 2 weeks now and put alittle over a 1000mi on it, I drive 100mi a day and I'm curious to see if I will have to add any T5 between changes, I seldom had to with 15W-40 oils.

Here's a question for you guys, I've been running the 15W-40 about 5,000 to 6,000mi between changes. Since T5 is Synblend would you run it further? It holds 8 qts.

Originally Posted By: Dieselsrule

Yeah, T5 being thinner than 15W-40 is the only reason I can think of. I've had T5 in it 2 weeks now and put alittle over a 1000mi on it, I drive 100mi a day and I'm curious to see if I will have to add any T5 between changes, I seldom had to with 15W-40 oils.

Here's a question for you guys, I've been running the 15W-40 about 5,000 to 6,000mi between changes. Since T5 is Synblend would you run it further? It holds 8 qts.

I was going to say not on a diesel but then you mentioned the capacity. 8000 miles then?

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: Kaboomba

Resistance is the cause of pressure.

...which is precisely why I said what I said.

At a bare minimum, "upstream" would apply to the oil filter, whose pressure drop at a given flow rate is heavily influenced by the viscosity of the oil (OP went from 15W-40 to 10W-30).

When oil flows more freely through the filter, the entire circuit "downstream" sees higher pressure "IFF" the downstream "orifices" are at or near their saturation (the point at which their is a diminishing increase in flow with increasing pressure). This concept applies everywhere in the system.

Last edited:
Just an update on using T5 in my MB. After 4,000mi I decided to change the T5 10W-30. The lifters were still quiet and the oil level didn't go down. Seems like the engine isn't going to burn anymore 10W-30 than it did 15W-40, another surprise for me with this oil. I'm going to stick with T5 10W-30 and go 5,000mi this OC.
Also, I check fuel mileage regularly on this car and with 15W-40 I would avg. 34-35 mpg, With the T5 10W-30 I've been getting 35-36 mpg, so it seems to have increased fuel mileage alittle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back