Ideal motor oil...IH 444?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evenin' gentlemen. I have been poking around and it seems like flat tappets motors need more ZDPP than the average off the self oil can provide. The owner's manual recommend a variety of viscosites based on temperature. Would brand/line of oil should I look into. Shell Rotella, etc? It's a '60's model IH 444 gas tractor.

A 10W-40 or 15W-40 should work year round.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I would run Rotella or Delo 15w-40, and have done so in many older heavy duty engines tractors etc.. However if the engine calls for a straight grade, I also run these, and have done so in the same above brands in HD 30, the HD 30 oils are outstanding oils in Rotella, and Delo, and I have never had any problems in colder times of the year down to freezing temps.

Whatever you choose I would stick with a HDEO (heavy duty engine oil) such as Rotella, Delo, also Mystic makes a great HDEO. Look for the owners manual for your tractor search the net to find what the manufactures specified, and I would stick with that, if your worried about cold temps and the use of HD 30 then I don't see any problems using a HDEO 15w-40

Ok, cool. Thanks

I have been using Havoline 30W. It calls 30 grade when it's hot out, and it seems to do fine. I was just thinking that there's more suitable oil out there. Plus, it sits for extended periods, so I like the idea of a multi grade oil especailly in the colder months. The manual recommends grades but other than that, there are no other recommendations I have seen.

Havoline may be a great 30W, however if I were running a straight 30w (and I do in several engines) it would be Rotella, Delo etc HDEO, and I and many others have ran 15w-40 in the place of a straight 30w for the same reasons you stated above. I don't see a problem at all, but I would be running a HDEO be it the HD 30 (straight 30w) or 15w-40 in Rotella or Delo which are easy to find at Walmart, and local parts stores Autozone, Advanced Auto etc

+1 for HDEO 15w-40. Nothing wrong running a straight 30 HDEO if it calls for it.

And by HDEO (heavy duty engine oil) we mean it will meet the current diesel CJ-4 spec along with the current gas spec, SM.

Last edited:
Any idea how oil pressure looks? i know on these old birds that can be a issue with hot oil temps and idle or low rpms and high hrs just somthing you may want to consider if going with a 30w.

Originally Posted By: daman
Any idea how oil pressure looks? i know on these old birds that can be a issue with hot oil temps and idle or low rpms and high hrs just somthing you may want to consider if going with a 30w.

I don't understand exactly what your point is.. i.e. I'm ignorant LOL... I do know when going from say a (will say for practical purpose) 10w30 to a 10w40 that you may get a slightly higher oil pressure with the 40, but is that just back pressure at the oil pump itself, and not the internal parts, clearances ( I need to find another word for clearance as I have some machinist background... and this is not the perfect term to me) anyway

I would think a straight 30 would rival a 15w-40 even if some how the slightly heavier weight 40 showed a higher oil pressure... You brought up a point that intrigues me from my work with actual machinery etc.. I know many look at a oil pressure gauge and say that's it.. but from my work in machine shop type (lathe, mostly) but also many other types of machines.. I just don't see the 30 verses 40 giving any more protection between shafts, bushings, bearings.. and bearings in engines can be confusing as a bearing may be thought of many times as a bushing not the ball bearing that most people think of as a bearing... however bearings is the correct term used here instead of bushing... it can get confusing to say the least...

I guess I just showed my ignorance....

Originally Posted By: rclint
Originally Posted By: daman

I don't understand exactly what your point is.. i.e. I'm ignorant LOL... I do know when going from say a (will say for practical purpose) 10w30 to a 10w40 that you may get a slightly higher oil pressure with the 40, but is that just back pressure at the oil pump itself, and not the internal parts, clearances ( I need to find another word for clearance as I have some machinist background... and this is not the perfect term to me) anyway

I would think a straight 30 would rival a 15w-40 even if some how the slightly heavier weight 40 showed a higher oil pressure... You brought up a point that intrigues me from my work with actual machinery etc.. I know many look at a oil pressure gauge and say that's it.. but from my work in machine shop type (lathe, mostly) but also many other types of machines.. I just don't see the 30 verses 40 giving any more protection between shafts, bushings, bearings.. and bearings in engines can be confusing as a bearing may be thought of many times as a bushing not the ball bearing that most people think of as a bearing... however bearings is the correct term used here instead of bushing... it can get confusing to say the least...

I guess I just showed my ignorance....

What im saying is I've been around lots of old tractors and they don't always have good oil pressure when there hot up to operating temp with a thinner oil(yes with a 30w), i was wondering if you knew how much oil pressure you have if you ever put a manual gage on,i know it's probably just got the indicator light.

it makes more of a difference then you may think in viscosities,

anyway no big deal i was just asking if your content fine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back