Oil Recommendation for Polaris 800 EFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting ready to change the oil on my 800. I'm probably going to go with the Polaris synthetic oil, but want to consider other suggestions. I'm in Indiana, and I plow with this machine. It spends its time in a garage that gets no colder than 55 degrees, but it will be operated in temperatures below zero at times, and it will work hard with the plow.

Also, what aftermarket filters would fit this engine? What is the oil capacity?

Thanks!

I have a 700, which is basically the same engine, although I am in Florida, I use and would use in your climate also, the Rotella 5w40. For oil filters, I use Purolator and Walmart Supertech. I think its athe 3614, its the same oil filter as a Honda car. I use car filters in my Polaris atvs and have had 0 problems. I have a 500 and a 700. Much better and alot cheaper than the Polaris brand.

Hello, I have a 2006 Polaris Sportsman 400 and I also use the Polaris Synthetic oil. My concern and question is if the manufacturer recommends a product how do we really know if something else is better or worse for our application. I am not a mechanic or a oil industry expert. Just someone with that paid a good amount for an ATV and would like to keep it working as long as I can.

fyi

Polaris does not own any refineries or oil companies. They sell oil for one reason and that is to make more money. The are able to push their brand oil to the customer and the customer perceives it to be the best for the vehicle. The use special names for the lubes so you can't tell what it is so as to find another alternative. In reality, they are very common lubes and likely no better than the average lube found in any discount store such as Walmart. The customer only thinks is best because Polaris or their dealer says so.

Polaris contracts out to a lube blender for their lubes. According to Polaris its a company called LubeTech who specializes in providing OEM's with an oil to sell under their brands. Lubetech supplies many small engine oem's so how do you know the same oil is not bottled under a dozen or more oem brand names?

The higher cost also reinforces the illusion that a customer is buying a better product. And let's not underestimate the power of a picture of an ATV or a motorcycle on the label.

All a person has to do is look at the oil analysis for various oils of interest. Dealers love uninformed customers. They buy a bottle of oil for $2.50 and sell it for $8.50. Easy money.

Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1
fyi
Polaris contracts out to a lube blender for their lubes. According to Polaris its a company called LubeTech who specializes in providing OEM's with an oil to sell under their brands. Lubetech supplies many small engine oem's so how do you know the same oil is not bottled under a dozen or more oem brand names?

How do you know that it is the same oil under some other brands? KTM recommends Motorex, Ducati recommends Shell Advance, and BMW recommends their own oils so what average oils are the equivalent at Walmart? Will the Walmart oils stand up to warranty claims? Please ignore the question if you are a canadian that needs to put food on the table.

Try reading the used oil analysis for HDEO used in ATVs and motorcycles. That should address all of your concerns.

Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1
fyi

Polaris does not own any refineries or oil companies. They sell oil for one reason and that is to make more money. The are able to push their brand oil to the customer and the customer perceives it to be the best for the vehicle. The use special names for the lubes so you can't tell what it is so as to find another alternative. In reality, they are very common lubes and likely no better than the average lube found in any discount store such as Walmart. The customer only thinks is best because Polaris or their dealer says so.

Not disagreeing with you, but this is essentially what every oil company does as well. Is there anyone that isn't selling product to make money? Every company puts there meaningless marketing spin on everything (SuperSyn, Adaptive molecules, etc).

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I have a 700, which is basically the same engine, although I am in Florida, I use and would use in your climate also, the Rotella 5w40. For oil filters, I use Purolator and Walmart Supertech. I think its athe 3614, its the same oil filter as a Honda car. I use car filters in my Polaris atvs and have had 0 problems. I have a 500 and a 700. Much better and alot cheaper than the Polaris brand.

That's exactly what I'm going to do. Do you know the oil capacity of these engines?

I have great confidence in Supertech filters. I used to have a Pontiac Solstice with an Ecotec engine, and PureOne filters began fraying at the edges of the elements after 5000 miles. Supertech filters never did that, and always looked good, even after 7k or 8k miles.

Ok, got my Rotella 5w40 and Supertech oil filter. I also found the capacity is 2 quarts.

How do you reset the service indicator on the digital display?

Originally Posted By: Panzerman

The 3614 oil filter is incorrect. It is too large in diameter. Anyone know the correct number? Btw, getting that filter off is tough! I can't get an oil filter wrench in there just right to get it. I'm going to have to improvise something.

I am sorry, I sent you a PM. The correct size in Super tech is ST7317. It is the longer larger filter for that application. A filter wrench is also available(socket type) to fit that filter at Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back