Maxlife or T6 in 94 Astro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my Astro (200,000 Miles on the van) has been on a diet of Castrol High Mileage 5W30 for the last few years.

Earlier in the year I decided to try something new and filled it with T6 Rotella. The thicker oil seemed to make the engine run smoother, and it came out pretty black, which I'd think means it did some good cleaning.

I was going to stick with the Rotella, but my nearest WalMart did not have it, so in a hurry I just grabbed some Maxlife and filled it with approx 3 quartz or 5W30 and 1 quart of 10W40. I really don't know enough about oil to give any sensible reasoning for the mixture of viscosities, other than, I felt like doing it.

The outcome is pretty amazing - the van runs so smooth, I can hardly believe it!! Like clockwork. So far the oil has 2,000 miles on it and it nearly as clean as when it came out of the bottle, so it probably does not clean like the T6?

OCI is 3-4K, regardless of what kind of oil. The engine does not leak and hardly uses any oil at all.

My van sees pretty much severe duty only. it is either driven short distances where the engine never gets fully warmed up, or it pulls a 3,500 lbs trailer.

I was definitely going to go back to the heavy duty T6 oil, but now I am in doubt. What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back