what chain sells name boat wheel bearing grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to wal mart west marine and o reillys. they all sell unknown label name brand greases. Any idea what chains sell citgo, chevron, exxon, etc grease?

I am looking for lithium based, high temp grease for a boat trailer wheel bearings. (The wheel hub maker says they use white lithium hi temp but that the color does not have to be white) they use Citgo brand Mystic JT6 but I dont know wif that comes in cartridges, maybe only in bulk.

Is there a difference between lithium, and lithium comples grease?

I dont know what would be wrong with the label name greases, but Advance auto sells the lucas greases and the green and red are way overkill for anything a boat trailer will see.

If you run bearing buddies you won't need to worry about marine grease because the water will not get into the bearings.

Originally Posted By: bmod305
Most Napa stores carry CRC/Sta Lube name brand grease. They make a great marine grease:

http://www.crcindustries.com/marine/content/prod_detail.aspx?PN=SL3120&S=N

We sell a ton of it at our store group.

Dave

I will look at these. the hub maker said to not mix TYPES of grease and since the new hubs have high temp lithium based grease in them thats what I want to stay with.

Most of the CRC products look like aluminum complex bases greases.

Last edited:
I believe to get the greases that do not mix, you would really have to go out of your way to buy a weird grease. Just about any grease you buy from Walmart, Napa, Autozone or Advance is going to mix, just fine. If you were to find a enviromentally organic all natural grease made from monkey dung, then I would be concerned about mixing that grease.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I believe to get the greases that do not mix, you would really have to go out of your way to buy a weird grease. Just about any grease you buy from Walmart, Napa, Autozone or Advance is going to mix, just fine. If you were to find a enviromentally organic all natural grease made from monkey dung, then I would be concerned about mixing that grease.

My instinct says not - too many types of grease.
http://www.mindconnection.com/library/handyman/greasecompat.htm

I have never seen or heard of most of those greases, that are incompatiable with a Lithum base or lithum complex grease such as a clay base. Which leads me to believe I would have to go out of my way to find a non-conforming grease.

The trouble with this grease forum is that sometimes the experts chime in and other times they don't. I am not an expert.

If you read grease labels, most times the high temp./EP greases are lithium complex and suitable for disc brake applications (higher heat). The "multipurpose" greases are lithium hydroxystearate(SP) and can be used on non-disc brake apps. (lower heat).

My opinion is that wheel bearings should be taken a bit more seriously about compatibility vs. chassis points where the old grease will get moved out. Most wheel bearing service instructions tell you to remove all old grease to remove any risk of incompatability.

You left out some details. Many boat wheels are small diameter and spin at crazy rpms. Bearing buddies?

Personally, I would study the boating sites to determine what works in the real world. FYI, one BITOGER runs a ski show and has real world experience...do a search.

I would seek that grease out, one way or another. Clean and repack the bearings. Then just use that same brand every time. With wheel bearings, I don't even like to mix different brands of the same type (i.e., lithium). Just my "rather safe than sorry" opinion.

Originally Posted By: bob15
Lubrication Engineers recommended using an Aluminum Complex grease for my snowmobiles and the trailer because it is water resistant. And yes, it is compatible with Lithium complex greases.

http://www.le-inc.com/products.jsp?productID=233

bob

Our local boat dealer sells and uses a Evinrude/johnson "triple guard" grease at $10 a tube for boat wheel bearings. Its Alum complex also, dark blue

Last edited:
mystik makes a lot of jt-6 greases.
seems they would label them jt-6 a etc. they do have different names on them tho, but all still jt6. examples marine,
high performance are 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back