API TC 2 stroke oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a little 2 stroke generator and in the manual it specs API TC 2 stroke oil.

Is this the same as TC-W3?

I have never seen API TC where would I buy it?

I have been running it on super tech universal 2 stroke oil. But after I flipped through the manual it speced API TC.

I just thought 2 stoke oil was 2 stroke oil.

Last edited:
There are two classes of 2 stroke oil. TC is low ash and TC-W3 is no ash. TC is sort of an obsolete/minimum standard for the low ash type but some say it is equivalent to FC or EGC. The highest spec for low ash oils is JASO FD or ISO EGD. A FC or EGC would be a pretty good oil as well. This link should help 2-strok oil

Air cooled two cycle engines require TC3 not TC3W. TC3W is used for liquid cooled two cycle engines such as outboard motors and isn't formulated to withstand the same temperatures as TC3. Not saying it won't work but it's not the best choice for air cooled two cycle engines.

I use Canadian Tire Motomaster brand in my air cooled engines. It's API TC3 rated. It's made by Imperial Oil (Exxon). If you can find an American equivalent, you'll be using one of the best conventional two cycle oil out there, and it's fairly inexpensive.

Went to home depot and found some homelite brand 2 cycle oil that lists JASO FD and ISO EGD.

According to that site API TC was equivalent to JASO FC and JASO FD is basically FC but with more detergents.

So I'm good to go with JASO FD speced oil?

Yes, your oil was a good enough choice. In fact, your method was good too. Look for oil used by similar air cooled equipment.

Chainsaw and lawn equipment oil is just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back