Washing your electronic car keys and surviving!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just managed to wash both my 2005 and 2008 CR-V and Pilot keys respectively. I was furious because I couldn't find them, then changed the laundry to the dryer and there they were at the bottom and I was more furious.
Just for fun I went to the garage and I'll be snookered, both cars unlocked/locked/started just fine after a spin in the suds.

Celebrating with a cold Blue Ribbon currently.....
Anyone else have the same or worse experience?

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Give it a bit and see if they still work. Corrosion will set in and corrode the circuits in the remotes.

Well, the 2008 is under warranty for a while and the previous owner must have soaked the key!

if you do get them wet you will want to open them up and let them dry out. Then clean the circuit board with 90% or higher rubbing alcohol and qtips. To remove any solids left after the water dried.

As long as it dries out, they are normally ok. I once washed my Lexus SC300 keys, and a Motorola RAZR. Both worked after they dried, but the phone gave it up to corrosion a few weeks later.

If you can "learn" a new key/fob with the existing fob by yourself, it may be cheaper to get spares now. Eg eBay.

If your fob dies later, you may need the dealer to reprogram.

I once dropped my Saturn's key in the parking lot at my apartment at night, and that night we had freezing rain that turned the parking lot into a sheet of ice. Then it snowed, so I couldn't even tell where I had dropped them when I realized I couldn't find them the following morning. After a few days things thawed enough that I saw a little blob of red in the ice - the keychain. Boiled the tea kettle and thawed the ice to the keys to retrieve them, and after opening the fob and drying it out, it still worked. Even the battery was still good.

My dad went swimming in the ocean when we lived in hawaii- with the Truck keys in his pocket. Still work today, lol

I was snowblower, and had to get something out of the shed, and I accidentally dropped the spare jeep keys (standard key, but with an aftermarket electronic thing that you have to "scan" for the jeep to start. Dropped it, and they sat in the yard under feet of snow till mid april. Still work. *Shrug*

Someone mentioned before that on some of these key fobs, the electronics inside are wrapped with an additional layer of waterproof plastic-- not sure if this is true or not.

Anyway, this is the exact reason why we have 4-6 keys for each car in the family. So if we ever destroy one, it isn't a big deal.

Even on the Altima, we had 2 extra "intelligent keys" made. Got them off ebay for $45/each and the dealer reprogrammed all 4 keys fobs and cut the two new metal inserts for $75. Cheap insurance.

I yet to own a car with the keyless entry...
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back