Shelf life to an engine air filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought two engine air filters online. Because there was a shipping fee and the fee didn't change whether I purchased one or two, I decided to buy two, so I can use one and have the other in stock.

But I'm worried about the condition it'll be in after a few years. Plus, I'm a low miler, so I think I won't need the extra air filter for quite a long time. But will it perform the same years later? Does it have a shelf life?

Just store the unused air filter in a sealed bag in an area that have low humidity and no direct light. It will lasted 6-7 years or more.

I did the same as you, I bought 2 air filters for LS400 about 7-8 years ago, I did not used the second air filter until 2-3 years ago and it is still very good now in the car.

Last edited:
Ah, I see. Yeah, papers discolor when it's old. It's sort of hard to find a sealed bag large as the air filter. The best kind I guess would be an oversized Ziploc bag, which I do not think exist in this size. I guess I'm gonna wrap it up with a food wrapper and store it in a dark place. Thanks.

Food wrap and then the trash bag. There are bugs that eat through paper. They can be easily found by flipping through an old paper/book. Maybe I should use aluminum foil over the wrap to prevent the bugs.

Many years. Shortly after buying the Dakota, I bought 3 new Fram air filters, still have 2 sitting on the carport closet shelf. A couple of months ago, I bought some NAPA Gold filters for $2/each-a case of 12 oil filters(1085), and 6 air filters. For my current driving habits, I'm fixed for air filters for at least 8 years to come!
grin.gif
I probably should seal 'em up in a trash bag though.

yea really....depending on how you drive, the air filter probably only needs to be changed once a year or every 12k......but it depends how the car is running, and where you're driving. If you are off-roading, or driving in dusty areas, could be sooner obviously than city driving
smile.gif

I was told by a Fleetguard rep a number of years ago that eventually the adhesive holding the paper in place will start to deteriorate. He recommended that I limit filter life to 7 years max in service.

Watching the filter minder on two of my GM trucks, I will hit that time interval before I need to worry about restriction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back