Douglas Xtra-Trac II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick review after about 2k miles.

Not that I expected much from tires so cheap but they're not too good. The ride is better than the mixed Goodyears and Toyos that were on before. They feel squirmy and seem like they want to follow road grooves much more. They're also not that good in terms of wet traction. Much better than the bald tires that were on before, but among the worst of the many other brands and models of tires I've ridden on. In combination with this car not having ABS, these tires have made for some scary short stops.

Can't expect too much from what is a cheapened version of Kelly's Explorer. Sadly, the kelly tire even looks better-with the cost only a few bucks more.

More proof on how Wal Mart cheapens everything....dump them as soon as you can.

I buy many things at Wal Mart but tires is never on my shopping list there. Their prices are not much lower than others, but their tires are mostly not very high quality.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I buy many things at Wal Mart but tires is never on my shopping list there. Their prices are not much lower than others, but their tires are mostly not very high quality.

Their tires is like most of their stuff...junk.

One of the same model tires on my Mom's Subaru is going flat. None of them ever stay aired up. The ride is horrible, they're noisier than any other tire I've driven on, and they handle terribly. Plus, they're dry-rotted to heck after 3 years of moderate use and parking in a garage every night.

I can't wait for her to let me know her car needs new tires.

A few years ago, my brother had a set of these on an Elantra that I was driving for a few months. They were horribly out of balance, so I took it back to the store and asked for them to be balanced. After I watched in amusement as the guy pounded 24 (yes, really 24!) weights on to the wheel, I finally tapped on the glass and said I think the tire might be bad. The guy rumbled something about how if they change the tire and its not bad I'd have to pay, I said I don't care but I am not leaving with more than 2 weights on my wheel. Of course the new tire fixed the problem.

I would never let my car enter a Walmart T&L after that.

^ I agree. I only carry/walk-in my flat repairs there -- since they are quite cheap, and have been successful at repairing flats for me.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
A few years ago, my brother had a set of these on an Elantra that I was driving for a few months. They were horribly out of balance, so I took it back to the store and asked for them to be balanced. After I watched in amusement as the guy pounded 24 (yes, really 24!) weights on to the wheel, I finally tapped on the glass and said I think the tire might be bad. The guy rumbled something about how if they change the tire and its not bad I'd have to pay, I said I don't care but I am not leaving with more than 2 weights on my wheel. Of course the new tire fixed the problem.

I would never let my

Just wow...car enter a Walmart T&L after that.

I bought 4 of the Xtra-Trac II (replaced 4 dry-rotted tires - car had sat in a barn for 5 years), hated every mile. I would drive our other car when it rained because of the horrible wet nongrip.

After 2 years I was able to afford better tires (online) and traded the Douglas set for mounting and balancing at a local used tire dealer.

As for Walmart tires, I bought a set of their version of the Michelin Symmetry and they were well worn after 40k with two of them showing bulges in the sidewalls. Never again.

i have a set of the douglas xtra trac on my suzuki.i had no problems with them in any weather,not great on red clay though.
but the trac II's have a different tread design that is very poor.i would not buy them.i don't know why they changed the design.

Originally Posted By: urrlord
i have a set of the douglas xtra trac on my suzuki.i had no problems with them in any weather,not great on red clay though.
but the trac II's have a different tread design that is very poor.i would not buy them.i don't know why they changed the design.

The old xtra trac was not too terrible. I had one on a ford taurus... 205/65/15 or so. Car cornered great, the tire had grip, was quiet, balanced, all the properties you want. Can't speak for wear or price as I got it used and flipped the car shortly thereafter.

Checked in the store though and that pedestrian size was $75 or so! You can get a michelin at sears for that kind of money.

i think for 205/70r15 i paid about 35-40 a piece.it was odd ,they was cheaper than any of the sizes larger or smaller that were in the 15 inch size range.

The local Goodyear shop had some tires similar to those but labeled Republic. They looked like and from me flexing the sidewalls a mediocre tire. Lots of slop.

Are you guys finding good deals on tires from walmart?

Everything they have to offer for my cars is a inferior product for way too much money.

They quoted me nearly $400 for a set of house brand goodyears for a 15 inch pontiac sunfire.

Even Goodyear themselves is much cheaper, and they are usually very expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back