7-11 Gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a 7-11 not far from my house. I have never bought their gas until today. Their prices are always the same as or a few cents cheaper than the few name-brand stations we have here. I figured I would give 7-11 a try and filled up there tonight. My truck started and ran fine on the short ride home.

I searched here and on Google today trying to find info and reviews on 7-11 gas quality, and all I could find is they stopped using Citgo some years ago in favor of marketing and selling their own brand of gas.

Does anyone here have any info at all on 7-11 gas? I am really interested in who their suppliers are. I heard or read a couple of years ago their supplier was Marathon.

This 7-11 I bought gas from is a pretty high volume store, lots of cars in and out of there buying gas all day long. It is very well-lighted at night and they have about 18 pumps. I have seen the local Police Officers and Sheriff's Deputies getting gas there too. Has anyone here had any problems or trouble with 7-11 gas?

Thanks for any info.

When I lived in Coral Springs FL, I would always use 7-11 gas in all our cars. I never had and problems and really could NOT tell any difference between 7-11 gas or BP, Shell, Mobil, Chevron...etc. I bought 7-11 gas and use Redline injector cleaner every 15K miles.

One thing that I liked about this particular 7-11 was that it was a high volume gas station and I must have seen the contractor replacing the filters on the gas pumps every couple of months. BTW, the filter on the gas pumps are about the same size as the Motorcraft FL-1A oil filter, maybe a little larger.

This is very good to know. Thanks for the help. When I need to buy gas I had been trying to fill up in the town where I work, about 25 miles north of here. There are a lot of Shell stations, one big Sunoco and one Chevron station there.

It's not always convenient to try to wait until I am headed home from work to fill up. This 7-11 is very close to my house and is easy to get in and out of. If I can get just as good of a quality and performance out of their gas as Shell, it will make things easier for me. I also use Red Line or Regane every 6,000 miles.

I did read a lot of posts today about how top-tier fuel is really a myth and a bunch of baloney and how one gas is no better than another, that kind of thing. There is only one top-tier station here where I live. It's a Chevron station 5 miles away that charges you an extra 4 cents per gallon if you are not paying cash or using a Chevron credit card. The next closest top-tier gas is a Chevron about 15 miles from here.

Thanks for the info.

Top-Tier gas is not a myth. It has a higher amount of detergents and is either recommended or specified by a number of manufacturers. Will your car run decent on non-TTG? Sure, just add a bottle of Techron or V-Power injector cleaner every couple of months.

I don't know. 7-eleven gas price are same as shell. I have no idea why 7-eleven price are as high as shell. I don't use either one..

I stick to one brand. that is chevron.

I just posted about my fuel experiences between 7-11 and Shell here http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2059456&page=2

I live in Dallas and 7-11 fuel is the only fuel I use in my performance turbo engines due to the high resistance to knock. Shell gas is knock city for me in any car I've ever owned so I've had to use 7-11. I can run 22 psi daily and good ignition timing to make some decent power. I thought they were still using Citgo, but I may be wrong.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. So far, the 7-11 gas is doing OK. No better and no worse than the Shell I have been using until now. I have to run this tank down and check my MPG to start to form a real opinion on 7-11 gas. If this first tank does well and gets above 17 MPG, I may run a few more tanks of it to determine whether I will continue to buy it.

Thanks for the help here.

An update...Last Thursady when I filled up with the 7-11 gas I didn't really drive very much for the next few days. I was off work Thursday for Veterans' Day and took a vacation day on Friday. I only went on a few errands around town and went maybe 15 miles on the 7-11 gas. I didn't really notice any difference good or bad in the 7-11 as compared to the Shell gas I have been making it a point to buy for the last few months.

Today my gf and I went on about an 80 mile round trip to Downtown Disney Marketplace. As soon as I was able to get out on the highway and actually drive my truck at normal speeds I was very impressed with how it ran. It had more pep, pulled a little stronger, was quicker when pulling away from a red light and it was hard to keep it under 65 mph. The gas gauge did not seem to move as far as it normally would have, either.

I don't think any of this was placebo effect, and here is why: The gas pumps at the Shell stations I was using have the required "Contains 10% Ethanol" stickers on them. I am going to check it to be sure but IIRC the stickers say the Shell gas contains 10% Ethanol. The pump at 7-11 had a sticker that either said "Contains Less Than 10% Ethanol" or "Contains Up To 10% Ethanol". I will need to check that one too to be sure. No matter what the 7-11 gas pump sticker says, I think their gas has less Ethanol than Shell gas so my truck is running better on it. I will check the pumps and run out this tank of 7-11 gas during this upcoming week, but my truck definitely was more responsive today.

Something else I found out is 7-11 is selling gas that is supplied by 3 different refineries, all of which are in the USA. The closest one to Florida is Maverick Oil in Houston, Texas. About 19% of the crude oil they use is from Canada. The rest is from oil fields right here in the USA. If that really is true, then I feel very good about buying the 7-11 gas.

I will run out this tank and post back later in the week, if anyone here is interested in the results. I should say that I did also add my usual 6 ounces of MMO to the gas I bought at 7-11. My truck sure did run well today.

Hi Jimmy,
Not only is it a possibility of a smaller percentage of Ethanol in the 7-11 supply (as we know does take more volume to run a stoich value compared to gasoline) but also the likelihood of less detergents opposed to Shell may be the fact of less detonation, which in EFI setups, will stop ignition timing retard thus the power difference.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
TurboFreak,

I went to your website and you own some pretty cool cars, I never would have known those turbo Dodges were so fast.

Thanks! Means alot coming from a Vette owner. (BTW:Thank You for your Service in the Military!!!)
These cars came with a 175 HP 2.2 so you can see I've put alot of heart and time into this engine to get 340HP and 420FTtq with all stock internals except for a set of custom J.E. forged pistons and a built 3 speed manual/auto FWD trans. The little engine was started in 2001 and finally assembled in 2004, drove to work everyday then strait to the track, pumped 30 psi boost to run 11.50@120MPH for a year or two strait, and now it has been removed from the little Shelby CSX and installed into my 89 Daytona and boost reduced to 21 psi for daily use. Tough engine to say the least.

Thanks for the info. I will be checking the stickers on the pumps at Shell and 7-11 today on my way home. The idea of there being less detergent content in 7-11 gas makes perfect sense.

I wonder though if I keep using the 7-11 gas with lower Ethanol content, should I add a small maintenance dose of Techron Concentrate to every fuel fill? MMO keeps everything clean but with less detergents in the 7-11 gas, I wonder if it would help to add just a couple ounces of Techron to each tank? I always fill up when my tank gets to 1/4 full, and it always takes 15 gallons, give or take a half gallon to fill up. Would a maintenance dose of Techron be good or should I just continue using Regane but add it more often? I currently dose with Regane every 6,000 miles (at every other oil change). I have been adding 6 oz. MMO to every fuel fill for the last year now too.

My truck ran great coming to work today. It was a little quicker and easier to get up to speed and merge onto the turnpike than it was when I used Shell gas. I don't think it is a psychological or perceived improvement. I need to try a few more tanks of 7-11 gas to be sure.

Thanks for the help here. I appreciate the info to help my truck run its best and get the best MPG I can.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190

I currently dose with Regane every 6,000 miles (at every other oil change).

Isn't that the stuff that grows hair on bald valves??
smile.gif

Quote:

My truck ran great coming to work today. It was a little quicker and easier to get up to speed and merge onto the turnpike than it was when I used Shell gas. I don't think it is a psychological or perceived improvement. I need to try a few more tanks of 7-11 gas to be sure.

Thanks for the help here. I appreciate the info to help my truck run its best and get the best MPG I can.

The fuel may be more deterrent to detonating which stops ignition retard from occurring, but don't forget about atmospheric conditions which plays a huge affect on engine performance day to day. Especially with the season changing. Colder weather and low humidity make an engine run incredible so don't let it skew the perception of the fuel. Just keep running it a few tanks.
I haven't looked into or tried many additives so I can't comment to additional fluids mixed with gasoline, except for 104+ Octane booster..... Didn't work that well on a boosted car opposed to lower octane race gas, and the stuff coats EVERYTHING in the combustion chamber and exhaust bright clay dirt red.

Red Stage2 Turbine Wheel
Red Turbine wheel 2
Turbine red3
Red Valves

I stopped by 2 of the Shell stations up where I work today, both had stickers on the pumps that read "Contains Up To 10% Ethanol". I went by the 7-11 pumps when I got home and the stickers on their pumps read "Contains Less Than 10% Ethanol".

I have no idea if "Less Than" is the same amount as "Up To" when referring to Ethanol content. I still very much believe the 7-11 gas has less Ethanol and detergents so I get more energy and power out of it. My truck was still running a little quicker and stronger on the 7-11 gas this afternoon.

I don't know exactly what the difference is. I am no chemist and I know nothing about the formulation and manufacture of gasoline. I do know that my truck is doing better on the 7-11 gas because I can feel it when I drive. I know how some engines can make more power and run better on lower humidity and colder outdoor temperatures. I used to see that at the drag strip back when I was in my early 20's. I have owned my truck for nearly 5 years now and have never seen this kind of spirited and improved performance when the weather turned cooler. It's not like my truck went from being Grandpa's grocery getter to Dale Earnhardt's Intimidator all on one change in fuel brands, but the improvement is very apparent and noticeable in the way the truck runs now. There is a definite difference between the Shell and 7-11 gas.

I am going to use a few more tanks of 7-11 gas, continue measuring the MPG and charting it on www.fuelly.com and see what kind of results I get. For now I will just continue adding MMO at each fuel fill. I don't see a need to use a maintenance dose of Techron when I already use Regane. But I may start using Regane every 3000 miles instead of every 6000 miles if I keep using the 7-11 gas on a consistent basis.

Incidentally, the city sales taxes are higher up where I work, so the 7-11 gas here at home is always at least 5 cents cheaper than Shell at work. Maybe if the 7-11 gas does have less detergent in it, that could be why it costs less. I also like the 7-11 station itself. When I bought the gas there last week the station was spotlessly clean, the pump give me a receipt without any problem or having to go inside the store to stand in line for a duplicate, the towel dispensers and windshield washer receptacles were full and the station is very well lit up at night.

The receipt from the pump is a big issue for me. I pay at the pump so I don't have to go in the store and I hate wasting time waiting in line in the store to get a receipt, and duplicate receipts only show the amount you spent. They do not show the price per gallon or the amount of gallons you bought. These numbers are very important to me, I need them when I input my fuel purchase info on fuelly.com.

Thanks for the info and help here. I'll post back after I get some MPG figures from the 7-11 gas.

Re: Shell gas vs other- I recently got a Superchips programmer for my Dakota. After finishing up one tank of regular on the 87 tune, I filled up- 22 gallons, the claimed tank capacity- with Shell Super unleaded & changed it to the Perfornance tune. Nade a difference for sure when you punch it- but when I ran that tank down I filled it at our local independent service station(formerly Chevron). Went home, it sat for a few hours- and when I started it up again, it really perked up! A nice difference and so far my gas mileage
is better too, according to the gas gauge.

Whatever the reasons are for the better performance, it sounds like you've found your gas station. I wouldn't worry about reduced detergency in the gas, especially since you use MMO & occasionally some Regane. And I've found my preferred gas too, certainly for Super Unl. When I run out of my old stash of FP, I'll probably get a gallon of MMO.

I had to buy gas again today. I went back to the same 7-11 near my house, added my 6 ounces of MMO and filled up the tank. Then I tracked my MPG again on fuelly.com. On this first tank of 7-11 gas I got 18.2 MPG. I think that is a very impressive number considering I have done more short trips than usual around town in the last week. My average is 17.6 MPG, so I am very satisfied with today's figures. My best MPG is 19.0 but I believe that was due to taking a short interstate trip down to Tampa and back.

My truck is still running great on the 7-11 gas too. I will keep on using 7-11 and see how things go from here. So far I am very satisfied with it.

Yeah I read that one last week. It is an excellent post. So far my truck is still running great on the 7-11 gas. It just runs faster and drives like it has a little more power. I will keep on using 7-11 gas, add my MMO at each fuel fill, run a dose of Regane every 3000 miles and see how 7-11 does on MPG for the long term.

I saw a tanker truck dropping fuel at the Shell station near my office last this past Monday. It did not have a Shell logo on the tanker, and the driver was not wearing a Shell uniform or even a Shell hat. The tanker did have the name of some private label trucking company. There is no way to know for sure exactly what gas was in his truck or if there were any Shell additives in it.

After reading Tankerman's post it all made perfect sense. I still believe 7-11 gas has less detergents and Ethanol and it burns more efficiently and has more energy, so I get better power and MPG from it. That makes perfect sense to me too.

A neighbor of mine drives a tanker for one of the big fuel delivery companies in this region. What he says confirms what fuel tanker man wrote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back