1988 7.3 Diesel UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRT

Not much experience with UOA, any comments?

Mr.T

>>> Blackstone lab report
OIL TYPE & GRADE: Amsoil HDD 5W/30
Make/Model: 1988 Ford/IH 7.3 Diesel
MI/HR on Oil 3,100
MI/HR on Unit 152,820
Sample Date 11/06/10

ALUMINUM 2
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 17
COPPER 1
LEAD 11
TIN 3
MOLYBDENUM 1
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 1
BORON 3
SILICON 4
SODIUM 2
CALCIUM 3310
MAGNESIUM 12
PHOSPHORUS 1115
ZINC 1230
BARIUM 0
Values
Should Be*

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 66.8 57-65
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 12.10 9.4-11.9
Flashpoint in °F 420 >410
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0
Water % 0.0 Insolubles % 0.3
Comments: A high viscosity was the only unusual find in this sample. It's still in the 30W range and wasn't high
due to any excess soot, so we don't really think it's anything to worry about, just something to note. Wear looks good and that's another reason we aren't worried about the viscosity. Universal averages show typical wear from this type of engine after 3,700 miles use on the oil. No fuel dilution or coolant was found and the low insolubles show good oil filtration. Suggest leaving this oil in use for now and check back in another 2,000 miles for another look.

I ran Amsoil 30wt in my 84 6.9 with a bypass (back then a canister) for 20K OCI for well over 20 years and 300+K. It now sports a spin on bypass. It alway's showed a 40w and higher than normal lead and iron.It's now a trash and horse hauler and only see's 1K a year. I run any 15w40 I can get my hands on and change each spring. The Amsoil spin on bypass will not be changed until it stops filtering oil...LOL

That truck, same engine is still running, It has over 350K...never been opened up. I would run yours for 10 to 15K or change once a year.

nice looking report, i have two of those ('88 &'89) and the actual recommended viscosity is 10w-30 on the idi.
looks like everything is working very well for you

Excellent report but you really aren't testing the oil or the engine at only 3K with an oil like HDD Amsoil. You should be running it out longer... at least 4K and likely 5K. Your insolubles are still low and fuel dilution is not a problem. If time is your concern, don't worry. Mine ('86 6.9L w/Banks kit) has run two year OCIs on conventional with good UOAs. That HDD Amsoil is a great oil that could stand time as well as miles. It's soot buildup that will kill you eventually and will be the limiting factor. I'd advise running to 4K and then UOA, sampling though the dipstick (Blackstone has the tool and the advice on how to do it). Then you can change or run longer as the test dictates. I like to stay below .5 insolubles but people run higher with few ill effects. A bypass system allows you to run longer because it will filter out a lot of the soot. I have a Racor ABS system (1 micron) on on my '86 but it's pretty new yet so I don't have too much to report.... not to mention it's apart for head work so al my testing has to be reset.

As to viscosity, I think you are fine for your climate. IMO, the only time you would need the 15W40 is if you really work the truck hard for long periods (hauling long distance), it's really worn or lives in a hot climate. Those engines run pretty low oil temps ( I've had an oil temp gauge on mine), relatively speaking, so a 10W30, or 5W30, is a good choice and one that's recommended in the manual up to about 90F ambient.

I've always been attracted to that HDD Amsoil but am too much a tightwad to try it.

Final thought: You aren't doing your engine any favors by changing the oil too soon... nor your wallet or the environment.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Same oil is still in the engine, so I'll probably sample it again later.

Had this truck since it was new, and kept it that way. 18.9 mpg average on a 2000+ mile vacation this summer, best trip average ever. Not bad for a 1 ton 4x4 crew-cab.

Some questions about when to condemn the oil based on UOA:

Is it the insolubles percentage that would usually determine it's time to change the oil? Is the
If the oil is sampled after another 3100 miles, should the wear metals be expected to be about double what they are now? It sounds like insolubles will be a problem first, but what other condemnation limits are there?

I just ordered one of the spin-on Fleetguard filters with both a full-flow and a bypass element (LF9027). It's actually designed for the later model Powerstroke's, but fit's the earlier 7.3/6.9 as well. My thought was that this might keep the insolubles down better without resorting to a remote filter setup.

Woops! Sorry Jim, you answered the question about insoluble levels previously.

Those old engines are hard to kill. They just don't make enough power to hurt themselves, frankly. Of note, there is a member here (IIRC is was ottomatic) that had one of the old IDI Ford/IH engines and he ran straight 30 grade PZ LLG. He had 450k miles on the truck before it was stolen. Engine was never opened up for any internal service. Just 4k miles OCIs and straight grade 30.

You are doing well to sample/track the fluid along the way. At first, I thought you had OCI'd the oil at 3k miles, and I was about to scold you, but I see that you're running and sampling; excellent use of Amsoil.

Stretch out your OCI. That truck will rot before you kill the engine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back