Diesel alternative fuels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I got a 1996 Mitsubishi Delica 2.8L turbo diesel and I am a jet engine mechanic and I have an abundance of mil-spec 7808 turbine engine oil at my disposal. I was recently reading a article in a diesel magazine about a guy with a 7.3 powerstroke running 90% used ATF and was thinking about trying to run a 50% mix of diesel and used 7808. I have never heard of anyone doing this and was looking for any insight thanks. Adam

An older turbodiesel like yours probably wouldn't mind being run on 10% turbine oil cut with 90% diesel. Most folks I hear what work at airports have ample access to 'waste' jet fuel (basically kerosene) from checking water traps. If you're looking for free fuel, I would look to base something on 'waste' jet fuel first, with ample lubricity additive. Do your homework & look at the Spicer lubricity study first, then decide what you want to do.

Personally I don't care for the risk, and just run a biodiesel blend all the time.

MIL PRF 7808 (most likely from Hatco) is based on a blend of light polyol esters (TMP and NPG esters) plus a phosphate anti-wear, antioxidants, and anti-corrosion additives. Although only 3 cSt @ 100C, the flash point is over 430F. Great for lubricity but I wouldn't use too much. I don't know of anyone doing it, and if it were me I wouldn't exceed 10%.

TomNJ

It can be done. I've seen a 97 Dodge Ram 3500 with a 5.9 cummins run on 80% waste motor oil and 20% Vegetable oil. That being said depending on the temperature of your region 50% waste motor oil should be a walk in the park. BUT the gentleman that ran this mixture also had a extensive filtration system that removed water, metals, and also filtered the oil through 3 Fuel filters before he poured it int he tank. The truck also had almost no power loss.

I am actually debating on purchasing a old 2 door civic with the 1.6 that gets 38mpg for my fuel saver or a old cummins truck to run on oil as i work in a automotive shop and have tons of waste oil at my dispose.

Last edited:
To the OP-if you can get your hands on a decent NON-synthetic 2-stroke oil, you could run that waste jet fuel with it-I would probably go 50-1 and get an auxiliary filter with a VISIBLE water separator, preferably with a WIF sensor-to make sure you've got all the water out. The US military actually runs JP-8 in the HMMWVs & trucks, but they use special IP components to handle the "dry" fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back