Is Ford's Duratec line of V6's underappreciated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
My 01 Escape with the 3.0 Duratec has been the most reliable vehicle I've owned, now at 160k. So far the auto trans is fine although I've heard that it is the weak link.

I think this post can attest to the Duratec being a very reliable engine. And, as I'm sure your trans has been well maintained, is proof that it anchors a great, reliable powertrain.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
The VQs sound pretty.

I actually think the Duratec sounds great. Maybe not in it's more pedestrian offerings, but I can attest they sound pretty darn good in two I own. My Contour is stock(well, K&N drop-in) and it sounds absolutely wonderful. The Mazda6 has an intake and has a mean mid-range growl.

FWIW I've driven a 1992 300zx NA and a 2001 Maxima and they didn't sound all that special.

Maybe Ford should have given the advertised displacement a "marketing boost" like the 5.0. This would have helped distinguish it from the sure-fire insomnia cure that was the Vulcan.

"Does that have the 3.0? Nah, it's got the 3.1"
"Ooooh, I hear those are a quicker."

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

I never understood the hoopla over the Nissan VQs. They're nice, but not special. The most "special" v6 I can think of now is the Ford Ecotec. IT is to today what the Buick turbo v6 was to 1985.

You would probably have to have owned a VQ engine to really understand. My fathers car has a VQ30DE-K and it is remarkable. Still idles, pulls, and sounds like the day it was new.

I don't disagree its a great engine... but all you said above was true of my Chrysler 3.5 when we sold it at 13 years/260,000 miles also. The rest of the car.. worn out like any front-drive would be at that mileage, but still serviceable. The engine... ready for another 100k with proper care.

My wife has a 01 Cougar w/ the 2.5 Duratec. Loved the engine, hated the CD4E auto.

It made Ward's top 10 in 1995 & 1996.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ward%27s_10_Best_Engines

A friend has a 2000 Taurus with the Duratech. It now has about 330K with 8-10K OCIs, and to this day is his daily driver. The engine has been near flawless' with little oil useage between changes.

Surprised no one has mentioned the 2.3 Duratec used in 01+ Rangers. Extremely peppy engines. The one I had at work is still running like new with over 260k miles. If Ford offered it in 4wd, I would've bought one instead of the v6.

I think it is a good engine for certain applications. I have a 3.0L in my Mazda Tribute and it sucks for a truck. The low end torque is very poor for such a heavy car. Then again, the transmission also sucks so that could be part of the problem. However, I do think it's a great engine for a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back