VW Dealer and 507 Oil Changes....what a deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a 2010 VW Touareg TDI. Got a smokin deal on it from a local dealer. During the purchase, I am getting the tour of the Service Dept and am told about the VW, free service through 30k miles. But the Service manager says, "I have no doubt that our Castrol oils will go 10k miles, but I would recommend 5k miles." He said that VW would cover the 10k, 20k and 30k changes. If I wanted I could bring in the rig for the 5k, 15k and 25k changes. I asked....what will that cost me. He said, they have a flat rate of $39.

I asked....and that $39 price includes the Touareg and you use 507 oil? He said.....yep.

So....9 quarts of oil, a VW filter, the labor and the disposal.....$39!!!!!

If they keep that price....I will never change the oil on this rig.

$15 VW oil Filter from $39.....leaves $24....nine quarts at $2.67 a quart for SLX Professional LL03 SAE 5w-30.

Seems like a purty good deal.

Go back and get that in writing boy! Lol.....

I'm telling ya, they were likely making it all sound good, just so you'd buy their car, and use their services
smile.gif

But yea, that's a [censored] good deal.

Almost as good as the $55 Walmart Synthetic oil change, using their Royal Purple 5-30 oil.

$9.87 per quart of oil, times 5 quarts, comes to $49.35.

Don't forget the oil filter, you know they use the orange cans, so that's like 2.50 there....now we're at $51.85....

They also wash your windshield.
vacuum your carpets, floor mats, and seats (saves me about $3.00 at the local do it yourself car wash or gas station).
Throw in some windshield washer fluid (last time I went, I was about 1/4 gallon down)
And topping off the other fluids,

All in all, $54.85 - that's what you call getting your money's worth
smile.gif

Needless to say, they didn't make much money off that synthetic oil change sale.......

*Note: All dollar amounts are approximates/estimates, it was a while back that I did this lol....and I don't know if they still offer the "Royal Purple" under their Synthetic Oil Service for this very reason
smile.gif
They barely make ANYTHING off the sale when it comes down to supplies and labor.

Yeah, definitely get that in writing. Salesmen/ dealers are notorious liars when they're trying to get you to buy their vehicle. Might already be too late if you have sealed the deal. " Oh, I'm sorry sir, you were misinformed or you misunderstood. This deal is for regular dino oil"

They will "use" 507 oil...if you buy it.

I got my 10k inclusive service today, at 7k. I already changed the oil a few times, but was ready for a new filter.

The dealer actually hired my niece as a cashier today!

Get that in writing. Especially if it was a salesman, not the dealer general manager or service manager, making the claims.

Toureg TDI is a very nice car, but man expensive! Almost Q7 TDI money.

Originally Posted By: ahoier
Go back and get that in writing boy! Lol.....

I'm telling ya, they were likely making it all sound good, just so you'd buy their car, and use their services
smile.gif

But yea, that's a [censored] good deal.

Originally Posted By: mikiee
Yeah, definitely get that in writing. Salesmen/ dealers are notorious liars when they're trying to get you to buy their vehicle.

Well, it is sort-of in writing..... Like on a billboard in our city. This dealer is advertising all over town.... "Full Synthetic Oil Change, $39.99". This is my second VW purchased from this dealer. In my Passat, I have already taken advantage of this deal. They used an official VW oil filter ($14.99 at the parts desk) and 4.5 quarts of Castrol Syntec 5w40, 502 approved. I watched them pour it in through the window.

When I asked that Service Manager....."Even $39.99 for a Touareg that takes nearly 9 quarts?"....He said yes. He also said....that the dealership is considering raising the price to $49.99 for diesels, but for the time being it is $39.99.

I picked up my Touareg at the dealer this morning (left it over night so they could detail and fill it with diesel)....and swung by the parts desk to purchase a bottle of "their" diesel oil. Without hesitation, the parts guy hustled to the back and came back with this bottle. I asked him, is this the standard oil that your Service Dept uses for TDI's? He said yes. He said, this is the only oil we carry that is approved for TDI's.

By the way, this quart I purchased from the parts desk was $11.92!!!! Nine quarts would be..... $107.28. Holy Moses! Even if they raise the price to $49.99....still a great deal.

Picture001-5.jpg

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
They will "use" 507 oil...if you buy it.

Maybe at your dealer, but not mine..... Castrol SLX 5w30 507 is what is being poured into the TDI's at Al Serra VW in Colorado Springs, CO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BBDartCA
Get that in writing. Especially if it was a salesman, not the dealer general manager or service manager, making the claims.

Yeah, but the Touareg is a true off-road vehicle. The Q7 is basically a luxury, lowered mini-van with a very hot engine.

IMG_0138.jpg

Treg4.jpg

Personally I wouldn't change it till 10k miles.

I stopped using the dealers service at for 5k when I did a bit of research. The oil can go way past 10k if needed as can the filter.

This was when I had a Jetta TDI w/ only a 4 qt. sump.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
Personally I wouldn't change it till 10k miles.

I stopped using the dealers service at for 5k when I did a bit of research. The oil can go way past 10k if needed as can the filter.

This was when I had a Jetta TDI w/ only a 4 qt. sump.

Learning this rig will be a process for me. I agree with you, that under normal service, 10K makes sense to me, especially with the 'nearly', 9 quart sump.

But, it also makes sense for me to change at the first 5k, to get the 'break-in stuff' out of the engine.

Eventually, I plan to tow with this Touareg, both a motorcycle trailer and a small camper (maybe 19 footer). 5k OCI's make sense to me.

Even towing it is of little consequence, however do the first at 5k miles is required, second at 10k and every 10k from then on.

I again wouldn't think twice about running it to 10k miles but you do what makes you feel good.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
Even towing it is of little consequence, however do the first at 5k miles is required, second at 10k and every 10k from then on.

I again wouldn't think twice about running it to 10k miles but you do what makes you feel good.
smile.gif

Why do you say, "...of little consequence..."????

Even with Diesels and especially Turbo Diesels....isn't there a severe service recommendation that shortens the OCI?

Originally Posted By: BigJohn

Yeah, but the Touareg is a true off-road vehicle. The Q7 is basically a luxury, lowered mini-van with a very hot engine.

The Q7, the Touareg, and the Porsche Cayenne are all built on the same platform in the same factory in Bratislava, Slovakia.

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red

The Q7, the Touareg, and the Porsche Cayenne are all built on the same platform in the same factory in Bratislava, Slovakia.

Yep, you are spot on. Same platform. I shouldn't have referred to it as a mini-van. The Q7 is a phenomenal rig, just not built or equipped for off-road.

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red

Yep, you are spot on. Same platform. I shouldn't have referred to it as a mini-van. The Q7 is a phenomenal rig, just not built or equipped for off-road.

None of them are trail-ready off the dealership lot. In Europe you can get an AWD Tiguan TDI with steel skidplate, HD suspension, ABSplus, and hill descent assist, along with a high-torque TDI engine. In North America you get front-wheel drive, the same 2.0T engine as in the GTI, and no off-road equipment standard or even as an option. The Touareg at least gets a few options, but only a fraction of what's available in the rest of the world.

But any of these three -- the Touareg, the Q7, and the Cayenne -- can be configured with after-market parts to make a descent off-roader. It makes the most sense to start with the Touareg unless you have a lot of disposable income.

Well, it is sort-of in writing..... Like on a billboard in our city. This dealer is advertising all over town.... "Full Synthetic Oil Change, $39.99".

Nope, you were lied to:

http://www.alserravw.com/MiscPage

Coupon clearly says for up to 5 quarts only AND it is $49.99.

So you were lied to.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Well, it is sort-of in writing..... Like on a billboard in our city. This dealer is advertising all over town.... "Full Synthetic Oil Change, $39.99".

Nope, you were lied to:

So you were lied to.

No I wasn't. They just brought up the price another $10 and as I stated above, they mentioned they were considering moving it up to $49 when I bought the rig.

Yesterday, I was in to make an appointment for this coming Tuesday. I reconfirmed with the guy...."Is my service coupon good for a Touareg oil change, no additional money required?" He said YES.

Now....do I think that the dealership has seen the ill of their ways and now realize that they weren't charging enough....probably. But as long as they keep the price of an oil change for the Touareg under $75, it is far worth it for them to do it. 9 quarts of 507 oil is [censored] expensive, as well as the VW oil filter.

Nope, you were lied to:

So you were lied to.

No I wasn't. They just brought up the price another $10 and as I stated above, they mentioned they were considering moving it up to $49 when I bought the rig.

Yesterday, I was in to make an appointment for this coming Tuesday. I reconfirmed with the guy...."Is my service coupon good for a Touareg oil change, no additional money required?" He said YES.

Now....do I think that the dealership has seen the ill of their ways and now realize that they weren't charging enough....probably. But as long as they keep the price of an oil change for the Touareg under $75, it is far worth it for them to do it. 9 quarts of 507 oil is [censored] expensive, as well as the VW oil filter.

By the way, I just called Al Serra, Service (719) 344-2672. They stated the coupon that is referrence above, it is incorrect. The cost is still $39.95....and includes the TDI Touareg.

Nope, you were lied to:

So you were lied to.

Officially...... $39.95.

I only paid $13.94, because I had a coupon for an oil change for $12.95.

Their standard pricing for the TDI Touareg (9 quarts) is $104.35 + tax.

OilReceipt.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back