high wear metals, 09 Jetta tdi Castroil and 10,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,
Here are my number and the analysis:

TERRY: Wear was generally above average in the first sample from your TDI. Aluminum comes from the
pistons, while iron is from a steel part, such as the cylinders. Potassium was high as well, and may show a
coolant problem developing. If that's the case, it's slight but it could be enough to cause the excess wear
that we found. We have also seen potassium in this type of engine be the charge air cooler or EGR, and if
that's the case it's not a problem. Suggest keeping your oil changes short for now (~7,000 miles), to limit

metals, which make the oil abrasive & check back.

Aluminum 24
Chromium 2
Iron 60
Copper 7
Lead 0
Tin 2
Moly 3
Nickel 1
Mang 1
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potasium 57
Boron 1
Silicon 5
Sodium 1
Calcium 1674
Mag 7
Phosphorus 616
Zinc 719
Barium 0

anitfreeze positive.

I am a little bummed. The factory recommended oil and oil change recommendations are causing high wear and i have coolant in my oil. Not good. I am going to change at 5000 and check back.
Anyone else have oil analysis results?

Terry

Castrol SLX 5w30 507.00/504.00 / ACEA A3/B4/C3.

Sounds like normal break-in if it's got < 30K miles on it.

My Jetta TDI (CBEA engine code) spit out some high metal numbers on the initial analysis. It's nothing to worry about until you get past the breakin-in phase.

Just continue to use the 507.00 oils and recheck once you hit 50,000 miles.

Terry: My UOA (10k OCI at 20k total mi) on a '09 TDI was practically identical to yours. My potassium was 56 ppm and no mention was made of high potassium, possible coolant leak, or any problem. Comments given: "Your 2.0 TDI is looking a lot better...Nice Improvements." My antifreeze % was shown as 0.0.

Sorry, I have 40,000 on the Jetta now. I am not seeing the coolant light go on. I will check coolant level.
I think i will change oil at 5 or 6000 miles.

Thanks,
Terry

SUS viscosity @210 59
cSt viscosity @100 9.94
Flashpoint in F 430
Fuel % < .5
Antifreez % POS
Water % 0
Insolubles % .3

Originally Posted By: TerryE
SUS viscosity @210 59
cSt viscosity @100 9.94
Flashpoint in F 430
Fuel % < .5
Antifreez % POS
Water % 0
Insolubles % .3

The wear metals are trending down I assume? Your oil stayed in grade, the flashpoint was good as was the fuel. I'd watch the antifreeze if anything, and were you using any additives?

No additives. I guess I will check again after the next oil change and look for a trend down.
Tery

Originally Posted By: TerryE
No additives. I guess I will check again after the next oil change and look for a trend down.
Tery

Hi Terry,

Can you share your OCI interval? Where they all at 10k?
Can you also confirm 100% the oil used for each OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back