Oil for hard driven SVT Cobra SC V8?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a 2004 Ford SVT Cobra, Supercharged 4.6 DOHC V8, it has 15,000 miles and was previously run on Motorcraft 5W-20 at a 5000 OCI with the FL820s filter.

This is a summer "weekend" only car that will see lots of spirited driving and some 1/4 mile runs as well. The motor puts out around 450hp/400tq at the flywheel.

I changed the oil to Amsoil 5W-20 with motorcraft filter, and I'm just not sure if this oil is up to the task for how I will drive the car. I considered Redline 5W-20 but am kind scared of the lead in all the UOA's I've seen on this forum, plus I'm going to store it for the winter and don't know if it's such a good idea to leave Redline in there with the possibility of condensation.

I have seen that a lot of people run M1 5W-30 in this motor, but I can't find any UOA's that prove it's any better than 5W-20. Although I have seen some fantastic UOA's for MC 5W-20 in the NA 4.6's.

I think a thicker oil would be better, and I don't care about fuel economy I just want the max protection for my motor.

The Amsoil should be as good and probably better than most oils out there.

I do not care for the looseness my engine sounds with the M1 - tread lightly there.

Look into Pennzoil Platinum (PP) - I was really impressed with the PP.

Check with Pablo for the lo down on Amsoil & your (cool) application...

Good luck!

cheers.gif

Redline 5w-20 without a doubt. The Pb with RL isn't wear. The Amsoil is a good oil for extended drains, but I would not use it in your car under those conditions.

Redline has a very high temperature/ high shear number and would be a much better choice for this car. IMHO. It's also loaded with anti-wear additives much above the current SM specification.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Redline 5w-20 without a doubt. The Pb with RL isn't wear. The Amsoil is a good oil for extended drains, but I would not use it in your car under those conditions.

Redline has a very high temperature/ high shear number and would be a much better choice for this car. IMHO. It's also loaded with anti-wear additives much above the current SM specification.

Is it OK to leave Redline in the sump for 4-5 months, will it have an bad effects when it just sits there not being driven over the winter?

I actually have 6 qts. of Redline 5W-20 but I chickened out and went with the Amsoil at the last minute. Maybe I'll put the Amsoil in my wifes car and swap the Redline in.
dunno.gif

What are your plans over the winter months? Take it off the road and store in a garage? Or drive it occasionally when weather permits?

Seven, I take back what I said. I really don't know if the SM oil is ideal for your car being it is supercharged. If the oil it comes with is MC 5w-20, then that would be fine, but being you have that upgrade, not so sure which is why I suggested the Redline. What was the stock HP and what oil did it come with? I think RL does very well in cars that are driven more often than not, but I don't think it should be a problem. You could always go with Mobil 1 EP 5w-30. It's close to a 20wt and it's a PAO based oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Seven1:
I considered Redline 5W-20 but am kind scared of the lead in all the UOA's I've seen on this forum

I believe your engine has bi-metal aluminum alloy bearings, so I don't think RedLine 5w20 would be an issue. If you store it for the winter, you should store it with fresh oil anyways, and MC 5w20 would do just fine, if your vehicle is in a insulated garage. I'd also look into Specialty Formulations Classic Car Engine Preservative if your worried about internal corrosion.

Just an update, I filled the crankcase with Schaeffers 5W-30 #701. Seems like a great bang for the buck oil that should protect pretty well. I like the fact that it's a 30 weight with a dose of moly, it makes me feel better about beating on the motor.

-

Seven1,

That IS one sweet car!

We know that thing wasn't cheap (and it's still under warranty), so why not get a UOA or two with a Dyson interpretation?

You'll sleep a lot better.

More pics, please?

quote:

Just an update, I filled the crankcase with Schaeffers 5W-30 #701. Seems like a great bang for the buck oil that should protect pretty well. I like the fact that it's a 30 weight with a dose of moly, it makes me feel better about beating on the motor.

-

Your motor looks great! *drool*

Your piece of mind is worth it's weight in gold. But any synthetic 5W-20/30 will adequately protect your engine.

Originally posted by tpitcher:
[QB] 71,

I do not care for the looseness my engine sounds with the M1 - tread lightly there.

What do you mean "looseness" and "engine sounds" with M1 ??
confused.gif

I have just switched two GM cars 3.8L Equinox '05 and 4.8L Tahoe '04. Both vehicles have had 3K OCI on dino and switched to M1-5W-30 at 23K and 29K respectively.

No looseness, no sounds, no leaks, no issues...both run like a top.
grin.gif

Tell me more about your findings of sounds ?

TonyMazz: Do a search for "Mobil 1 noise" or "M1 noise" and you should find older message threads on a perceived engine noise increase with the use of Mobil 1 synthetic oil.

quote:

I changed the oil to Amsoil 5W-20 with motorcraft filter, and I'm just not sure if this oil is up to the task for how I will drive the car.

I can assure you that the SVT team know how people will drive this car when it gives it's oil recomendation and CAFE, as other will probably tell you, was not considered for the Cobra. Thicker is NOT better but that seems to be what people are being brainwashed to think here. The easier you can pump the air in and out of the engine the more efficent it wil be and the longer it will last. Running a thicker oil than what is required just puts additional unwanted drag on the engine and extends cold start-ups. 90% of engine wear is during this time. You can pound on the car in the streets all you want with no worries using a synthetic 5W-20 like Amsoil.

I love those cars, but I know Id kill myself in one! My GTO is fast, but with as little as it takes to make 500hp out of those things, whew!

My friend has an SVT Mustang (came with factory supercharger; maybe 04' or 05'?) and then sent it to Saleen, then also put a small pulley on it and it has a little over 500 whp as tested on a dyno. It is absolutely brutal in power and the supercharger whine at WOT screams!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back