Mobil 1 Q&A. You're kidding--right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDD

I just got around to reading the Mobil 1 Q&A. Well---there's 30 minutes I'll never get back. A lot of 'Q' and a little light on the 'A'. It had sort of a corporate legalese condescending tone to it. The 'answer' to the many high iron UOA Q's lumped in to one 'A' was hysterical---it's not the oil, it's your motor, stupid. And LOTS and LOTS of ...has been tested...high levels of protection...meets or exceeds...factory fill...proprietary... If I wanted to hear that, I would just read the bottle or have gone to the MFGR website. The funny thing is that all the really good questions were written with anticipation that there would actually be real answers. Overall, not very informational, just a waste of time. And I still don't know why there's all that iron in the UOAs

Im really not brand loyal to any one oil. However this kind of thing makes me want to run from Mobil

Originally Posted By: toyotaguy
Im really not brand loyal to any one oil. However this kind of thing makes me want to run from Mobil

I don't blame you. And it took them 2 weeks longer then they originally stated! Pennzoil's Q&A was far superior to Mobil's.

Trust me, this has been discusssed, at GREAT LENGTH, MANY TIMES. It's been beaten to death, then resurrected, thrown off a bridge, beaten some more, and then run over with a truck.
18.gif

The Mobil Q&A confirms my loyalty to Pennzoil products. I too noticed the ambiguity and overall lethargic tone to their answers...which makes me more unimpressed with their product line. Go Pennzoil!
banana2.gif

Okay, I removed a few posts since this is not in the humor section they were not factual and trolling.

Unless you work for the company or have this personality there really is no reason to have to defend what the OP is commenting about.

Bill

PS: I'm sure sooner than later this thread will get locked up with the bashing like the others.

Originally Posted By: buster
Originally Posted By: toyotaguy

I don't blame you. And it took them 2 weeks longer then they originally stated! Pennzoil's Q&A was far superior to Mobil's.

Oh, people still like Mobil 1. EDIT removed Emoticon.

That Q&A is nothing more than an advertisement. IMHO, sure.. but its been seconded by other posters.

EDIT: I think its fair to say that the Q&A section on XOM's site is less than helpful, and more about promoting the brand. Its a coincidence the Marketing branch and Website team of M1/XOM triggered it, and not the people that made the Oil.

I agree that the Mobil Q&A was disappointing.

But they are still 1 of only two companies that ponied up to interact more meaningfully with an oil website....that gets them some credit in my book.

Just for fun, let's take M1s side.

What would you publish about specific data? Should you be concerned with the very few people who even know what those specs mean? Should you obfuscate things to not let the other [enemy] oil companies have too much info?
What about new technologies and trends?

I guess playing it safe is playing it safe.

Lets compare:
The FDA requires food contents to be labeled.
But, only if they are ABOVE 3%!

I have no problem using Mobil 1 products and I'm someone that typically defends them here. However, I was a bit disappointed in their answers and most of them lacked any technical depth while managing to skirt the whole "high iron" issue. Personally, I think the product is great, and the iron thing is a moot issue that could have been explained in a similar fashion that Redline does. But as top dog, it seems Exxon-Mobil felt they had nothing to gain by getting into more technical explanations in response to consumer questions and concerns than small boutique oil companies typically do. Understandable, but still a bit of a shame...

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Doesn't hurt either that SOPUS products generally = a good deal, and Mobil 1 = better guard your wallet!

Really? So, what are the major price differentials between Mobil 1 products and SOPUS products? Last time I bothered to check, Pennzoil Platinum is the same price as M1's non-EP offerings at Wal-Mart. And they're both roughly the same on sale at any of the major auto parts chains...

If you're going to call them out, at least be fair about it and check your facts!

I look at it this way. There are plenty of oils as good or better for the same price or less. UOA reports back that up if you believe in UOA reports. My car will run with or without Mobil products in it, no skin off my teeth. There are other more important things to defend than Mobil 1.

My beef with them was the condescending attitude they gave me and my brother, I'll spend my money elsewhere. If their filters are part of an OC special I'll use them, their oil, I pass on.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I agree that the Mobil Q&A was disappointing.

But they are still 1 of only two companies that ponied up to interact more meaningfully with an oil website....that gets them some credit in my book.

I agree. And to "defend" one more thing, it was obvious (okay, highly speculative on my part) from the outset to me that there was some sort of row going on in Mobil 1 based on the dates the answers were supposed to be provided, and the weeks later they actually were.

Again, it's purely speculative, but I think there may have been some sort of conflict between the tech guys and the marketing/law dept. people. And the latter won...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Doesn't hurt either that SOPUS products generally = a good deal, and Mobil 1 = better guard your wallet!

Really? So, what are the major price differentials between Mobil 1 products and SOPUS products? Last time I bothered to check, Pennzoil Platinum is the same price as M1's non-EP offerings at Wal-Mart. And they're both roughly the same on sale at any of the major auto parts chains...

If you're going to call them out, at least be fair about it and check your facts!

Threads like this are by design a "bashing thread" full of opinion for or against something or other.

They could have said they duplicated the tests and found that Valvoline's tests were a fluke or flawed in some manner as they found otherwise.

They pretty much just said we are licensed (still).

Realize they can not reveal trade secrets but how much would it have taken for them to have run the same tests and reported back.

Credits for responding but pretty weak responses in my opinion.

They should have said "To heck with the BITOG'ers, no matter how hard we try we will never be able to please them. A bunch of primadonna's who just whine, whine and whine more. Give them a pacifier and put them to sleep"

The END

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back