detergent in oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both being high quality oils meeting upper-tier specs (just different specs), the difference is probably not palpable.

Not to hijack the post, but what motor oil whether it be 5w-xx or 0w-xx has the highest amount of detergents on the market?

I would like to say Royal Purple has the highest Detergent on the market. I wont be buying this oil again - just because its so expensive, and does not meet current specs and because of the bad reps... but in all honesty - every used car i own will now run 2 3500 OCI of Royal purple.

My Ranger, 1000 miles into Royal purple went from clear white color to almost black...i've ran other oils thousands and thousands of miles and my oil almost always came out light brown.

Royal purple also claims to have a high amount of detergent in there oils...most oil manufacturer websites i have seen do not claim this. Royal purple (despite utter hatred towards it) on this site is also known to boast high levels of detergent. I cannot think of another oil with more.

Originally Posted By: KieferS
I would like to say Royal Purple has the highest Detergent on the market. I wont be buying this oil again - just because its so expensive, and does not meet current specs and because of the bad reps... but in all honesty - every used car i own will now run 2 3500 OCI of Royal purple.

My Ranger, 1000 miles into Royal purple went from clear white color to almost black...i've ran other oils thousands and thousands of miles and my oil almost always came out light brown.

Royal purple also claims to have a high amount of detergent in there oils...most oil manufacturer websites i have seen do not claim this. Royal purple (despite utter hatred towards it) on this site is also known to boast high levels of detergent. I cannot think of another oil with more.

Is this backed up by VOA?

(or are there detergents that don't show up in VOA?)

I

The color of the oil does not indicate how well it cleaned or how robust the oil is. Its nothing more than a color change.

Rotella T6 5w40 has high amounts of Magnesium but not a lot of Calcium and Mobil 1 0w40 has high amounts of Calcium but not much of Magnesium at all. With the history Mobil 1 has of keeping engines clean, I would choose M1 0w40 like I posted before.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
It always amazes me that people make all sorts of deductions from looking at, smelling, rubbing, etc., the oil.
Well yeah. If the oil is gritty, you have something wearing itself out inside the engine. If the oil smells like gas, you have blowby or a fuel system problem. And if the oil is nasty looking, well, that just speaks for itself....because it's probably been a while since it was changed. 35 years of engine experience has shown me that the dipstick is a great tool for determining the condition of an engine at a quick glance.

Originally Posted By: heavyhitter
I

The color of the oil does not indicate how well it cleaned or how robust the oil is. Its nothing more than a color change.
I wouldn't make that blanket statement. It may be true if nothing is wrong with the engine, but if the engine has an issue, more times than not, you will see the result of that in the oil.

detergentoil.jpg

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
Originally Posted By: qdeezie
Not to hijack the post, but what motor oil whether it be 5w-xx or 0w-xx has the highest amount of detergents on the market?

http://www.autokreso.hr/ulja/downloads/kamioni_mobil/Mobil Delvac 1 SHC 5W-40.pdf

TBN=16

Charlie

Yep. All those "old school" HD diesel engine oils. Thank god we're on USLD and there's no longer a need for this kind of lubricant.

Perhaps if you are going to do 30-60K miles OCIs with the help of a bypass centrifuge and a 29L sump....

Charlie

Last edited:

Perhaps if you are going to do 30-60K miles OCIs with the help of a bypass centrifuge and a 29L sump....

Charlie

True. I should've said "in passenger cars/trucks".

How has the X5 diesel been holding up?

The X5 35d is fine but I'm not happy with the factory oil: Castrol SLX Professional OE.
It had a starting TBN of only 6.4 and after the computer prescribed OCI of ~10.5K mi the TBN was down to 1.5 and the TAN up at 4.83. I'm going to try to talk the dealer into letting me use (still under warranty, they change the oil "for free") Delvac 1 LE 5W30
http://www.mobil.com/Lithuania-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENCVLMOMobil_Delvac_1_LE_5W-30.aspx

Which an E4/E6 oil with TBN over 12 but ash 1.0% and P Mercedes lets owners with AdBlu equipped 6xx car diesels use E6/228.51 truck oils. But not CJ4/E9/228.31 oils.
I'm also going to have the dealer turn down the max EGR flow rate to whatever minimum they'll do it for, hoping to improve mpg (19.6 in winter with lots of short runs in town, no highway driving) and decrease DPF regens. Ideally I'd like to get rid of the DPF and EGR.
But it runs great, has a ton of power.

Charlie

The X5 35d is fine but I'm not happy with the factory oil: Castrol SLX Professional OE.
It had a starting TBN of only 6.4 and after the computer prescribed OCI of ~10.5K mi the TBN was down to 1.5 and the TAN up at 4.83.
Charlie

I remember you mentioning this but I have to ask if your UOA was on the factory fill? If it was then you should know that FF is not SLX.

I did a UOA on factory fill at 6,5xx miles and TBN was 3.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back