Looking for a bike - what brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking about getting a bike to just get my blood pumping once in a while. It's been 25 years since I rode a bike and back then, you knew that certain brands were quality and others just garbage.

I see now though that even quality brand names are being sold in Walmart - IOW, garbage.

I was thinking about trolling Craigslist for a bike under $100 as I can fix up anything that needs fixing. But my question is, is there a brand or brands that I should or should not be looking for?

The last bike I rode was a Miyata road bike, but I'm thinking something like a MTB with street tires that I can pedal around the neighborhood. I do not need suspension.

TIA

I'd look for a Trek hybrid on craigslist, 100~150 should get you something older but in perfect condition mechanically. There are other decent brands of course, but that should be easy to find.

Did what you did when I was 54 and am now 62. I bought a Trek hybrid (new) with an aluminum frame, 24 gears, etc. I have several thousand miles on it and it has been a great bike. They are made in the US (better ones) and I recommend them highly. Go to Trekbikes.com to see what the current lineup is and it will help when you look for a used one if you are familiar with the terminology. Make sure that you get a bike that is the right size for you. Trek makes the same model in different fram sizes. Always remember that at the bottom of a pedal stroke, you still want a little bend in your leg.

Is the Trek Hybrid aka "Urban"?

I'm in my late 40's and with three toddlers, I need to get back in shape as my kids are wearing me out.
Originally Posted By: Boomer
Did what you did when I was 54 and am now 62. I bought a Trek hybrid (new) with an aluminum frame, 24 gears, etc. I have several thousand miles on it and it has been a great bike. They are made in the US (better ones) and I recommend them highly. Go to Trekbikes.com to see what the current lineup is and it will help when you look for a used one if you are familiar with the terminology. Make sure that you get a bike that is the right size for you. Trek makes the same model in different fram sizes. Always remember that at the bottom of a pedal stroke, you still want a little bend in your leg.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Go for a Trek. I think they're made in the USA (its a US brand at least), you've heard of it and its just plain decent. Its like the Ford Mustang of bikes.

The overwhelming majority of Trek bikes are made in China. Among the road bikes, only the top-of-the-range OCLV carbon bikes are made in the USA. All other models, including the TCT carbon, are sourced from their international partner, Giant. Anything less than the priciest MTBs will be in a similar situation.

I've always had a laugh at the cheering for Trek success in professional cycling. Realizing that the overwhelming majority of buyers were going to buy from the lower priced ranges, it was clear that Giant was the winner whether it was a Trek or a Giant winning the events...

My wife has a Trek that was made in China. It's been bulletproof for our neighborhood rides for over 10 years. My road bike frame was made in Taiwan, and it has over 7k miles on it, with no signs of giving up the ghost anytime soon.

Pretty much anything sold in your local bike shop will serve you well.

I like Trek. Very good quality. There is a Schwinn in the family's fleet. It has been very good, just a little on the heavy side. My favorite bike is Cannondale. If you can find an older F500 with the HeadShok, you wont regret the purchase. Mine is probably 15 years old, with thousands of both on and off road miles. It's had a few sets of tires, brake pads, and a chain. Besides that, it's just a stout reliable machine, always ready to go.

There's not a real answer here.

The Cannondale guys are the most brand loyal. They are fanatical.

One of my friends will only ride Treks. Another Cannondales. Both are astonded that I am still riding a 12 year old bike. (and can still keep up with them)

Gary Fisher works best for me. There's a rumor that the bottom bracket shell is weak and will break. My '98 Hoo Koo E Koo hasn't yet. And that's ridden hard with my 200lb 6'3" body on it.
It's comfortable, fast, handles well and stops on a dime. The only thing that was "weak" on it was the RockShox Indy forks. I liked the way it tracked but I would frequently anhialate the seals and bushings. Since replaced with a Manitou.

I've ridden the other bikes. They are good bikes. (and they've had a few) They work well for them. they only replace them to get the newest shiniest toy, not because they are broken. My well worn Fisher works for me. (and hopefully with a little care will for a long time)

Personally, I am a big fan of Specialized. My first mountain bike was a 2004 Specialized HardRock Sport. I paid $335 for that bike originally and it has served me well for the 6+ years I have had it. If you can find one used for $150, it is a steal.

Right now, I have been watching eBay for a Specialized TriCross bike. I think it is just what I am looking for--near the same efficiency as a road bike but built tougher.

A substantial proportion of Cannondale guys were fanatical. When they turned their back on US production, a lot of guys did the same to them. The fact that you were getting a real American-made bike was a not insignificant part of the draw. The hard facts are that while I really couldn't find anything negative about them, neither could I find anything that made me feel a connection with them.

Trek does make some great bikes, paticularly as you move up the range. Of all the brands I've ridden, I'd place Trek as a close second. The overall feel of the bike, its responsiveness, the "lively-ness" of the frame, are really standout characteristics. Their geometries are also a standout feature, as Trek is one of the few brands to have competition level bikes that I found as comfortable as, if not more so than, the more comfort oriented models.

I'm a big fan of Giant's compact frame geometry, and the benefits that come with it. However, I feel their aluminum frames are superior to their carbon products. The alloy frames have a nice stiffness to them and put the power down in a direct fashion. Their carbon frames tend to have what I would call a "mushy" feeling. It feels as though there is something between you and the bike that is absorbing the power and then re-applying it after a brief interval.

The brand that I put at the top of my list is Specialized. The comfort oriented frames really are more comfortable. The carbon frames give a feeling much like their Trek competitors, but with just that little bit extra. Specialized also has a more diverse selection of models, meaning you are more likely to find a bike style that suits your needs.

LeMond has lost something of late, as Trek has tried to rationalize their production. I was a much bigger fan of the older frames as LeMond was a brand that was more willing to be different. Frames made from multiple combinations of materials, used where their natural atributes were of the greatest advantage. Geometries which were less "hardcore", but just as performance oriented.

Fuji, Raleigh, Felt, the list goes on, but the top four I listed above are the core of the modern market.

Given the thoughts many on this board have about XOM and BP business practices I'm amazed Specialized isn't hated given their business practices.

I'm still looking for a good bike.

I've been concentrating on Treks on CL, but a quick search for Cannondale F500 yields no results.

I realize that I can't expect a high end bike on my budget, but I also don't want a POS Walmart special either. I don't think I'm expecting too much, so I keep searching.

Thanks for keeping the thread alive.

I finally bought a bike.

I went to see a few used Trek bikes, but they were all too big, so as I go to leave, the seller says, "I also have a Gary Fisher".

It's a Gary Fisher Rangitoto (?) I ended up paying $120. I should replace the tires/tubes and my big BUT T needs a new seat, but it rides and shifts well so I'm happy.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back