Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 - 6K Miles - 07 Saturn VUE

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first UOA I've had done for our 2007 Saturn VUE. It has a 3.5-liter V6 engine that GM calls the L66, but it was manufactured by Honda who calls it the J35A3. According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_J_engine#J35, the only difference is that the L66 utilized the cast-iron crankshaft from Honda’s J35A4 rather than the forged-steel version of the “true” J35A3. This is what Blackstone's comments are referring to when they talk about cast-steel versus cast-iron. Additional information on the engine is available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_L66_engine.

The vehicle is used as the proverbial “grocery getter”. It’s mostly exposed to stop-and-go city driving conditions, used for relatively short trips to the store, taking the kids to school, etc. Though, this particular interval included 4 “family trips” of about 500 miles each.

This was the third straight fill of Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20, so there shouldn't be any mixing or cross-contamination issues affecting the results.

The vehicle is equipped with an oil life monitor. It’s a simple “dumb” type that has a light that comes on when it advises an oil change within 600 miles. It came on 5,961 miles into this interval and I then drove an additional 308 miles.

E33380.jpg

The current fill is Valvoline SynPower 5W-20 and the next will be the same. I'm undecided whether I'll run it longer (e.g. 7,500 miles) and get another UOA done or stick with the OLM which comes on around roughly 6,000 miles. I'll be under warranty for another 2.5 years and don't want to risk any warranty-denial problems if I encounter an engine problem during that time.

Another great PP UOA. The Tbn retention of Sopus products is impressive.

Agreed, standard PP report
grin.gif

0 oil consumption with the 20 weight? The dipstick level never moved?

Originally Posted By: webfors
0 oil consumption with the 20 weight? The dipstick level never moved?

Not a bit. 4.5 quarts went in, and basically 4.5 quarts came out.

I poured the used oil out of the drain pan into an empty 5-quart jug. I drilled a few holes in the bottom of the filter, let it drain for a few days, and then poured that into the 5-quart jug. The level of the used oil in the jug is just a smidge below the 4.5 quart mark, and you have to believe there's still a bit of oil in the filter media and some that wiped up with rags during the process of everything.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
Is the Copper at a standard rate for that engine?

Apparently so. The UOA reported 21 and the Universal Average is 22.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
Is the Copper at a standard rate for that engine?

Apparently so. The UOA reported 21 and the Universal Average is 22.

Some honda engines usually spit out high copper until its well past 50K miles.

For comparison purposes, a VOA of Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 is available here.

Though, there seems to be some question about the TBN reported in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back