M1 0W-40 cleaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know M1 30wt oils typically tend to be high detergents. Does the same go for 0W-40? I have an engine that isn't filthy, but could use some cleaning action.

Last edited:
Recent VOA.

image1.png

Hi,
vinu - Perhaps we should not expect any lubricant to "clean up" a "dirty" engine - they may, at the "edges". M1 0W-40 is one lubricant that will keep the internals of most engines very clean indeed. Mobil and Delvac lubricants have been doing this very well for many decades

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
vinu - Perhaps we should not expect any lubricant to "clean up" a "dirty" engine - they may, at the "edges". M1 0W-40 is one lubricant that will keep the internals of most engines very clean indeed. Mobil and Delvac lubricants have been doing this very well for many decades

Question: With ULSD becoming more prevelant are the days of high additive diesel engine oils a thing of the past when it comes to road going diesel engines?

Hi,
BMWTurboDzl - Australia went through the issues leading to ULSD about a decade ago - it was a painful time for some. Most issues were related to fuel pump and injector seals and existing deposits IIRC

If we take light high speed diesel engines - those fitting the ACEA A/B Categories, we already have an answer - they do very well on API "CF" lubricants such as the one in the title of this Thread. This is a cause for some disbelief by some here on BITOG

So IMO these "universal" lubricants will most likely be "tweaked" to have better cross compatibility

Other ACEA Categories - "C" and "E" present other challenges. The "E" Category applies to High Speed Heavy Diesel (HSHD) engines of course. There is no doubt as we already know on here, newly formulated conforming lubricants in these Categories are generally performing very well - many are loaded with "new wave" additive packages!

Some things follow that I can comment on but cannot be more specific about;

1 - High fuel dilution levels (up tom 20%) are not producing high wear as expected
2 - Long "standard" OCIs are working and many are out to >100kkms as expected
3 - Some engines actually benefit from extended OCIs
4 - Engine durability is (generally) better than ever before

Regarding 2, 3 and 4 above
In 1975 as a Road Transport Industry Research Fellow I was able to penetrate the depths of the major vehicle and engine manufacturers. In the case of Daimler Benz they were well down the path of controlled servicing. CAT were already there too. UOAs were part of the scheme and a number of Fleets throughout Europe were already stretching the "then" limits under the watchful eyes of DB Senior Engineers This was the formative time of Commercial programmed Maintnance practices. Subsequently and progressively I followed this through with MB, Scania and Volvo for two decades plus

The evolution of Euro HDEOs formalised under ACEA and driven by the Euro 1> emission standards has seen Euro High Speed Heavy Diesel (HSHD) engines retain engine life as they lower viscosities and extend servicing intervals - especially OCIs

As engine Technologies and Lubricant structures evolve the "fail safe" is to use a Manufacturer Approved and Listed product. Again some on here will disagree with this philosophy but I will always defer to those that Design, Produce and cover their products under Warranties! My own experience dictates this!!

Hi,
Bob - I would where such a viscosity and specification is required!

Light high speed diesel engines do not always call for a modern top spec HDEO as you know them. Some Japanese engine makers know all about that!

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Bob - I would where such a viscosity and specification is required!

Light high speed diesel engines do not always call for a modern top spec HDEO as you know them. Some Japanese engine makers know all about that!

There's gotta be *some* trade-off though. Low specific output, short intervals, short service life of the engine? CF has such a pathetic design goal if we're to believe the Lubrizol charts. CF isn't even for DI diesels which have been around since 1995?

I've never seen anything but a European passenger diesel, so I guess my knowledge of other pax diesels is limited...

Hi,
Bob - If the specs are for a CF (along with Manufacturer Approvals) then all is well.

Of course high speed light and heavy diesel engines are very different animals. HSHD engines perhaps spend most of their life in a loaded work cycle (above say 60%) for perhaps 80% of their life and perhaps have 1800rpm as their top RPM limit. Max torque can commence around 800rpm and/or have a broad spread from say 1100-1650rpm - they do spend many hours at WOT or slightly below that. It's all in the design and the philosophies Euro to US are quite different but slowly merging

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
M1 0w40 may be their best oil. M1EP is really good too.

There HM line is good also!

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
I know M1 30wt oils typically tend to be high detergents. Does the same go for 0W-40? I have an engine that isn't filthy, but could use some cleaning action.

What sort of diesel engine is it? Make? Model?

Not a diesel, posted in the wrong forum accidently. Fortunately the topic isn't engine specific.

Last edited:
Iron or no iron, I'll keep using Mobil 1 as I know my engine will be spotless inside. I'm also a huge fan of the HM line, very good oils.

Originally Posted By: subiedriver
Iron or no iron, I'll keep using Mobil 1 as I know my engine will be spotless inside. I'm also a huge fan of the HM line, very good oils.

But your engine is slowly being destroyed!!!
33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back