Definitive non-interference engine list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than the Gates site, which lists all engines as non-interference unless specifically noted, is there a listing of interference vs. non-interference engines?
I've searched here, googled, but haven't found an accurate, consistent, and believable publication.

Moderators - Please move this if I posted in the wrong section.

I have not seen such a thing, but it is definitely needed for folks who rely on used cars to make ends meet! If we don't find anything, I wonder if we can have a forum just for that, to gather and compile information. For example, VW 1.8T, YES, Mazda 1.5L NO, (That's my contribution for today!)

CRW- Does YES mean non-interference? Most new 4 cyl engines are chain so will soon be moot. Even the NA subaru 2.5 is going DOHC Chain on their base engine for 2011. They finally fixed that "way oversquare" bore-stroke ratio, too.

While I think a chain is better, many of the new engines route the chain all over the place and they do break. Its not like my 5.7L GM engine where the chain only drives the cam.

I've been looking for aomething like that as well. I like the thought of starting our own thread about it. Lot's of automobile variety around here.

In my post, "Yes" meant that it is an interference engine. I just had the timing belt done on the VW. On the Mazda, it has a belt, but it is non-interference. My other vehicles are chain.

Good point about timing chains, not being bulletproof. The only time I ever had an issue with either a timing belt or chain was in fact a chain. On a 1979 Toyota Celica, the chain went out, or at least jumped a tooth. I was too young to understand it all at the time. The repairman tried to fix it but it was never the same after that.

I could see a master spreadsheet with a page for each automaker, listing engines for each, with engine numbers, years, whether it has a belt or a chain, and whether it is interference or not. I might even work on such a project, but I wonder if we can get a specific forum room to discuss this? Hmmm....

Originally Posted By: Donald
What is wrong with the info when you look a vehicle up on the Gates website?

I think the info exists in bits and pieces all over the place. I sometimes check wikipedia to find info on BMW engines. But compiling it into one spreadsheet would give us one place to look. I can imagine browsing Craigslist for a car for my daughter, with Craigslist up on one side of my screen and a listing of engine specs on the other.

It's a thought.

What is wrong with the info when you look a vehicle up on the Gates website?

Nothing. Your point is a good one. Second opinions from the dealers contradict the Gates info and that is what has lead to my post.

The problem with one of "us" compiling a list is a few 1) how do we know if its accurate? 2) how does it get updated for new models? 3) what happens when the info is wrong for whatever reason and someone with an interference engine ruins it but it was listed on the spreadsheet as a non-interference?

I feel Gates has a vested interest in this and wants to sell timing belts (do then sell timing chains?) and will do a better job than any of us could do.

I feel Gates has a vested interest in this and wants to sell timing belts (do then sell timing chains?) and will do a better job than any of us could do.

Agree completely. I was hoping to find another source with a vested interest that published a list to provide a second opinion.

Yeah, it would need to come with some strong disclaimers!

I checked my two engines in question on the Gates site. The VW is listed as interference, as it should, while the Mazda has no specific description. That's OK, ... I'd rather it specifically say that the Mazda is non-interference, but the lawyers for the Gates site probably have the same concern that was expressed here!

Manuals are sometimes wrong.
This causes confusion and problems.
When a car's timing belt breaks, the mechanic will recommend yanking the head, due to valve bending [interference]. He read this in an aftermarket manual.
But the car may not be an interference engine!

Where to go for correct info? On an individual basis, zero in on specific car forums and factory manuals.

There is no authoritative list. If there are lists, I would not trust them 100%.

Here's something for your list- *All* Dodge & Plymouth Neon 2.0 L engines, both SOHC and DOHC, from '95 through model's end in '05, are interference designs.

#2:
Ford Zetecs are listed as interference in many manuials, but are not.

Note that even a NON interference engine can kiss the valves on the piston tops due to over revving. Like on a downshift that forces the RPMs way high and floats the valves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back