Bissell Pro-Heat Deep Clean Carpet Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up one of these yesterday afternoon at WM. I got home after 9PM and put it together.

Darn thing was DOA out of the box. Instead of the cleaning solution spraying out down at the vacuum end, it comes pouring out of the handle down near the left wheel.

So last night around 11PM I say, "Screw it. I'm taking it apart!"

I found this:

brokenbarb.jpg

Photo of inside the handle showing the guts.

Broken hose barb going into the water heater. Hmmm..water and 120VAC in the handle. Shocking.

Anyway, a trip to the hardware store and ~$10, drill and tap for 1/8-NPT and the nylon barbs are now brass (Sorry, no pics. I was in a hurry to get my chores done this morning).

BTW, this thing works great.....when it's working. It has a sight glass with a neat little spinner like an old skool gas pump that spins when you hit the trigger for the cleaning solution. I saw that and I was sold.
grin.gif

Used the GF's simpler Bissel Carpet Cleaner recently. You fill it with hot water and solution in seperate chambers. It worked wonderfully. The carpets looked brand new and dried quickly. I kept rinsing until the liquid sucked up was not sudsy. The tubing to the collection chamber is transparant, so it easy to tell when the soap has been removed. Also the carpet has not retracked in 2 months.Have been watching Amazon for a good deal on one for my home. It was so easy to regulate the amount of soap. IMO less is more when it comes to cleaning solution when cleaning carpets, the soap residue just seems to make dirt stick to the carpet.

As someone who's been in the business for almost 40 years I can tell you that of all the clients we have who've bought a cleaner at the store most do not like them.

Remember the machinery does not do the job, a person does. As Hermann stated, some technique can really give a better result, but you're still left with a stinking mess when you're done, and they rarely last long. Add in that the chemistry they sell you is DECADES behind current stuff available at any local supply store and the exhaust being quite hazardous to sensitive individuals... not a good recipe for the health of your home.

Most people using DIY methods also severely shorten the service life of the flooring.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
As someone who's been in the business for almost 40 years I can tell you that of all the clients we have who've bought a cleaner at the store most do not like them.

We have had carpet cleaners in and have been less than satisfied. We used the "Dry Chemical Stuff..didn't work very well. Sometimes we rent machines from the local stores. What do you recommend for cleaner??

I work in the business as well. Good professionals use higher Ph or Ph balanced non soap emulsifying pre-sprays, and then extract using nothing but hot water/steam, and some mix in a low Ph rinsing agent to soften carpet. Even if you have something like a Bissell, it's best to either pre-spray (even if you're using soap) or clean with the machine, and then refill it with nothing but hot water and rinse all the cleaning solution out.

The problem with traditional soaps that most companies sell to use in consumer type carpet cleaning machines is they foam and they're not as good at breaking down embedded soils like a non soap emulsifier will.

I've cleaned people's carpet that have regularly used something like a Rug Doctor, and they are astonished at the outcome, because all the detergent and soap is rinsed out. 61 horsepower vs. maybe 4 horsepower!

Like I said, if you do use a consumer type machine, try and find a non-soap based cleaner and rinse it out thoroughly, and then do 2 slow dry strokes to remove as much water as possible. It really is better to pre-spray in that regard, so you won't saturate the carpet too much and possibly get the floor boarding wet. That is the main advantage of having a pro do it because the pre-spray and water rinse doesn't have much time to sit in the carpet and soak through, and then it's rinsed and vacuumed with massive suction (500 + cfm for good equipment).

Originally Posted By: Hermann
Used the GF's simpler Bissel Carpet Cleaner recently. You fill it with hot water and solution in seperate chambers. It worked wonderfully. The carpets looked brand new and dried quickly. I kept rinsing until the liquid sucked up was not sudsy. The tubing to the collection chamber is transparant, so it easy to tell when the soap has been removed. Also the carpet has not retracked in 2 months.Have been watching Amazon for a good deal on one for my home. It was so easy to regulate the amount of soap. IMO less is more when it comes to cleaning solution when cleaning carpets, the soap residue just seems to make dirt stick to the carpet.

That sounds like a good machine if it has separate water and cleaning solution tanks, so you can rinse out the cleaning solution. Clean rinsing makes all the difference in the world.

I recently did my folks house; my dad has an old Hoover cleaning machine, and the buildup of soap in the carpet was so bad, I had to stop every 5 minutes and add de foamer to the waste water tank. I didn't even pre-spray even though the carpet was heavily soiled from dirt sticking to the soap. It cleaned up nicely.

Originally Posted By: Al
We used the "Dry Chemical Stuff..didn't work very well.

That's pure scam; it makes things much worse in the long run as the "dry" chemical stuff stays in the carpet and breaks down carpet fibers, as well as attracts dirt.

Think about it: how do you clean most everything else, such as cloths? With HOT WATER. It's no different with carpet IF you use the right procedures and use good equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back